• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Whats the best reel?

Hey Guys,

I just got into fishing Musky fishing last year. What I am looking for is the best all round reel for casting everything. for around $ 150 (Give are take). Last year I Mostly casted bulldawgs and double cow grils. Last year I baught a abu garcia (not sure what one) but like $75 and it didnt last 6 week. So this year I would like to see what everybody does/does not have good luck with.

Thanks

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out the Saltist. I just picked one up a week ago and had a chance to finally throw with it this weekend. Very nice reel for the price and seems like a great candidate for big plastics and blades.

For an all around reel to work dawgs and blades, the saltist 30 with a levelwind would be good. Doesn't have the line pickup of the 40, but you can palm it for more of an "all day" reel, depending on how you fish. In terms of reliability, hard to say just how long they'll last, nobody's been throwing them for very long.

Calcutta 400TE is still really the go to, the toro should be good but again new.

Okuma Induron IDX 400 is a well built good all around reel with the addition of a power handle for blades. About $120. I havent tried the Red Iris yet but hear good things about them for about $160.

Check out propster's ad in the muskie reel for sale. good price on a Toro and they are good reels, I have been abusing mine for 2 months now and love it, and this coming from a guy that hates abu muskie reels.

JRedig is right... Shimano Calcutta 400TE is still the tops... but with the price tag it carries ($389), not many would invest that much that easily... with Shimano Trinidad for big blades...

There are several other options that few over the last two years had recommended, such as Okuma Induron or Red Isis, Daiwa Saltist 20 or 30 w/ LW, Abu Garcia 7000iC3

As for me, I'll be purchasing few Red Isis and a Daiwa Saltist 20... Lets hope that those new reels will last much longer for me than my 7000iC3 did...

I bought the Saltist 30HA lastweek, good size reel nothing to massive and pulls in the DB10's great. I don't think that durability will be much of an issue with this reel it's solid as rock and I think it will hold up.

Now watch next weekend I'm cursing the reel because it blew up on me.

Tough to beat the price at under 200.

That's my .02

RU

Check out propster's ad in the muskie reel for sale. good price on a Toro and they are good reels, I have been abusing mine for 2 months now and love it, and this coming from a guy that hates abu muskie reels.

Any idea what the link pickup per turn of the handle is? I don't see it on their site at all.

Take a look at the Pflueger Trion 66 ($99). I recently purchased it because it came highly recommended after years of abuse by fellow fisherman. The same person warned me about the abus for exactly the reason why you are looking again.

I have the Saltist 30HA LW reel and reels in the big blades nicely. I used to have the Shimano 700B reel but I like to be able to palm my reels so the Saltist works better for me than the 700B.

I also use a couple Daiwa Luna 300 for everything else except big blades...I've only had them for 1+ season and can't say bad things about them yet. It's a pricey reel (not as expensive as the 400 TE however) but you can find good deals if you look around many places.

I have not tried the Okuma line of reels but would like to try them some day. Good luck and have fun!

Originally Posted By: Esox_Magnum

Any idea what the link pickup per turn of the handle is? I don't see it on their site at all.

I remember seeing someone say 22" or 24", I could be wrong though?? crazy

I have 26" stuck in my mind for some reason on the Toro 60 5:3:1 Great reel IMO for everything I have used with it so far, mostly Gliders and DBL 10's. Not brave enough yet to throw Mag Dawgs on my 9' Predator.

BTW Jeff that Weagle I got from you rocks now that I'm learning to work it. 1st cast on my home waters had a follow.

BTW Jeff that Weagle I got from you rocks now that I'm learning to work it. 1st cast on my home waters had a follow.

Nice, glad to hear it! They are great baits, I have yet to throw that manta...

yes the 400TE is spendy but all roads will eventually lead to it anyway, so IMHO, just go buy one or two and be done with it. i have yet to spend $150.00 (let alone 250.00) and be satisfied, maybe a tiny bit, with what i had. my advice is... why waste money on a bamboo pea-shooter when there's a perfectly good 10 gauge next to it. GL wink

don't get a diawa or shimano. Get the Abu Garcia big game qith the 4.1:1 from rollie and helens and they send you the 5.1:1 gear ratios in the box. Abu for life

Especially if you know a good reel repair guy! I'm sorry, but I know too many people who have those reels break, especially for the application being asked for here. You do get what you pay for.

It cracks me up, "abu for life"...what if they go belly up, watcha gonna do then? It's a fishing reel, it's a tool in your tool box. They may not make the best tool for the job you're doing, but you'd stick with it anyways just because? LOL!

HotSpot - I have the Tekota 600. Just used it for the first time on Saturday. Have it on an 8' Shimano Compre and will use it primarily for blades.

It's definitely worth a look. In my opinion, it's not a reel, it's a piece of machinery. Solid n smooth.

DB

Your a funny man the same week I got my calcutta it broke while up on leech. great piece of work i say. Never had to take my abu's into the shop after throwing cowgirls for 4 seasons now. even my c3's have gone the distant and the gears has held up. Tell you what before you go runing your mouth take apaprt a [PoorWordUsage]mano and then take apart a abu then you will see shimanos parts are all plastic and has about 250 pieces in it an abu maybe has 50. do the math 250 to 50 pieces which one is most likely to have problems and does. ABU FOR LIFE Get the shimano if you feel like wasting 400 dollars and not be able to use it cause its in the shop 24/7

Pretty poor advice to be telling people Abu garcias hold up well compared to Calcuttas. I am sorry you had ONE reel break on you, but I have been Musky fishing heavy hours for over 10 years and Abu Garcias do not belong in the same sentence as Calcuttas.....And yes, after fishing with others in the boat using cheaper Reels I can say they do catch more fish as well because they make it easier to "burn" in baits, especially bucktails.

as far as 400 Dollars goes, getting the Calcutta 400b with a power handle runs you about 250ish. Compared to 160 dollars for an Abu Record I do think it is a good buy

So he had 1 break 1 time. I have FOUR abu's that have each broken no less than 3 times each. They are sitting on a shelf and will for the rest of their existence.

Funny, i have 5 reels now that say Shimano and have never had a problem with any of them. Same fishing, same lures, same habits...odd...very odd...