• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What are some of the strangest things to happen to you while bow hunting?

Riptide

I was bowhunting in my portable once and watched a grouse fly up to me and I thought it would eventually turn but it didn't and I had to put my bow up sideways between us and he hit the arrow when he finally turned in the air. The problem was it was one of the early portables which were only big enough for 2 feet and not much room to move. The other part of the equation was I didn't have a safety harness on either.

Lesson learned.

Happened this weekend!!!
about 10 min. after I could see a squirel was in the tree across from me, he was doing one of those real fast noises that I can only immitate in person.
I was watching him and all the sudden an owl from out of no where grabbed him and flew off!

I was bow hunting in the metro area about 10 years ago one afternoon and I was watching a small buck working it's way towards me when it bolted out of the blue. A few minuts later from the same direction I could see movement and thought it was another deer. Boy was I wrong. It was a girl about 15 years old and she was coming right at me! She stopped 20 yards away and sat down on a fallen tree and pulled out a pack of smokes!! 10 minutes and 2 smokes later she left. I thought I was busted but she never looked up! I guess my camo was working that night.

Forgot about this one. Years ago my brother was bow hunting near home and was perched up in his portable. He watched as this guy wanders down the trail, stops underneath his tree stand, never detecting he was up there. The guy looks around for a few seconds and proceeds to drop his pants…..LOL

My brother had to do all he could to hold his laughter in. When back home, he said he should’ve yelled “EVERYTHING COME OUT OK?" to see what the guy would’ve done then.

I guess his camo worked perfectly too.

Great stories! It's amazing what you see when you're all camo and not moving. I'm a disabled hunter and I hunt with a crossbow out of a ground stand. One year I heard a really loud buzzing and I thought I was being attacked by a swarm of bees. Turned out to be a humming bird. I was all in camo except for the eye holes in my dermoflage head net and that little guy thought the white of my eye was a flower. Tried several times to "feed" out of my eye. Then he lit on my bow and tilted his head looking at me, trying to figure out why the "flower" wouldn't hold still. I watched him for a minute before he flew off.

Another time, I was bear hunting in Canada and a huge fisher ran right over my feet. Nearly had to change my pants after that one.

I had a couple of teenage girls walk by me too. I was on a fencerow between two fields and the field behind me had a field road along the fence. These two girls about 16 years old went for an evening walk on the road, discussing the intimate details of their dates from the night before. Pretty Graphic! They walked by me within 15 feet and never saw me. I thought about speaking up and giving them a scare, but I let them walk on unaware.

------------------
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (When all else fails, play dead)

I forgot about this one. A friend of mine told me happened to him probably 15 years ago. I'm not sure where he was hunting, but some type of state land I believe, on the edge of a meadow in the woods. This young couple comes walking along hand-in-hand, they stroll right past his stand into the meadow, pretty close, 50 yards I think. They spread out a blanket & start getting "involved". At first he didn't want to scare them by saying something & then quickly he really didn't want to embarrass them by interrupting. He was quite embarrassed too I guess. He said eventually they got so "involved" he was able to quietly get down & tip toe away without being noticed. There's no way this guy made it up, he's not that kind of guy.

I forgot, I had two girls, probably in there late teens, on horseback ride within about 30 yards of my stand a couple of years ago. They were having some kind of girl talk about what they did with their boyfriends, like I wanted to hear that! Again I didn't want to scare them or make any more ruckus to scare any deer by talking to them as they just kept going. I was plenty steamed though, as they weren't really supposed to be there. Thank heavens I didn't know them.

I saw a fisher last night when I was bowhunting, at about 5 yards. I did some research on them this morning to verify what it was for sure. Apparently that's extremely unusual for someone to see them in the wild. It was a big male. I finally moved so it would see me, as I was afraid it was going to climb the tree with me. It took off in a hurry very quietly, it obviously had not seen me prior to that. From what I read they are quite the nasty little animals.

For instance the only known natural predator of porcupines. They steal bobcat kittens from the dens, are known to kill fox, raccoons, & otters. They aren't something to mess around with.