• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Whale Wars

LwnmwnMan2

This show was on tonight (6-5) on Animal Planet.

I don't understand what the people on the Sea Shepherd are trying to accomplish.

I realize they're trying to stop whale-ing, but are they going to move up to the Bering Sea once they're done in the Antartic and stop the crab fishing?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw one episode last year where they boarded a ship that was whaling and then called the coast guard because they were being held on the ship. That was the first and last episode I ever saw and I won't flip it on again. Bunch of morons if you ask me.

IMO this ship, the sea shepard, or whatever it is called, is a pirate ship, and should be sunk. I have seen a few of the previews for this season, and they are complaining that the Japanees are using "Millitary style weapons". Tuff hope terrorist, be glad they dont sink you! I am not sure if the Japanees have a Navy or not, (WWII conditions) but if they did, they should send a destroyer or a cruiser and sink these putzes.

I saw one episode last year where they boarded a ship that was whaling and then called the coast guard because they were being held on the ship. That was the first and last episode I ever saw and I won't flip it on again. Bunch of morons if you ask me.
Nothing wrong with being entertained by morons. I do agree though, I wouldn't watch it either but it is quite funny watching a bunch of modern day hippies on a boat.

If you go to the HSOforum and look at the forums, there's very few people that are supporting the Sea Shepherd. Maybe it's just that the new season started, I don't know.

As far as the wife, we watched the episode last night (replay of Friday's episode) and she's already done with the show.

I never saw the first season, I wonder if the "kids" on the ship realize the captain and first mate believe they would be "heroes" if they were to go down with the ship doing what they're doing.

At the end of the show, they showed some clips for next week, the "kids" were saying "I'm all about saving whales, but I don't want to die doing it".

I know they're not kids either, just trying to distinguish between the captain / first mate and the others on the ship.

I watched this last night, pita on a ship was my thoughts, I will never watch it again, in fear these morons will receive $.01 from someone watching the show. The captain is willing to sacrifice everyones life so they can throw stink bombs on the other ship, real nice!

they have mental issues thats for sure, i hope they get sunk, if they tried to stop the crab fleets i would hate to see whats gonna happen to that boat, picture that boat trying to mess with the hillstrand bros, haha that would be funny they would sink those idots in a second.

Ignore it completely on TV and online; it's the only way it will go away. The same can be said of PETA. Any hit on their HSOforum, whether it be for research or to complain, gets them a hit which makes them look good to advertisers.

they have mental issues thats for sure, i hope they get sunk, if they tried to stop the crab fleets i would hate to see whats gonna happen to that boat, picture that boat trying to mess with the hillstrand bros, haha that would be funny they would sink those idots in a second.

Now that I would watch. I actually would do pay per view to see them mess with that bunch!!

Them trying to stop the crabbers would be good. Watched episode 1 also, the Nine Inch Nails (or whatever band that is) for the theme opener drew me in. First mate is a trip, being given compass bearings and demanding "which way, left or right, just point" Ya, that is who i want commanding

They should give the Sea Shepard to them Somalian pirates and then let them loose on the Japanese whalers. I'd watch that.

That would be cool!

I do not know? I thought the show is pretty interesting. I do not know if I would rank them up as PETA but more as anyone who has ever question, remarked negatively, took a shot at or even thought bad of a person who has kept a 50" musky, 29-31" walleye, 20"+ small mouth or a 100lb sturgeon (which is legal wink ) ?? The people on the Sea Shepard are just a little more aggressive than a guy sitting behind a puter grin Heck grin I think the crew of the Sea Shepard is more like anyone (including myself) who has harsh feelings towards anyone who fishes for species in MN out of season laugh That is illegal.

I figure they have a passion and are willing to do it with out mounting one of these on the deck and going “Dirty Harry” on them:

25mm_mk38_mod2_pic.jpg

I guess if I catch it I will watch. I do not know the laws but I do know whaling is illegal for a reason:

The moratorium on commercial whaling didn't go into effect until 1986, even though it was passed by the International Whaling Commission (IWC) in 1982.

and Alaskan Snow Crab is not wink So I do not think the Deadliest Catch is in jeopardy of the Sea Muffin coming their way any time soon wink I look at them more as the “non profit”, privately funded DNR of the Ocean. Who is going to do it?

They are limited on what they can do and stay with in the law while fighting people who are breaking the law. They come up with interesting legal ways on how to do this.

I just giggle to think if there was a show like this that involved the same people (Sea Shepard crew and Japanese fisherman), but instead of a mammal it was fish being taken out of season like large muskies, sturgeon or walleyes grin, and the show was filmed on US soil/waters.

What a different tune this thread would have wink. The crew of the Sea Muffin would be heroes laugh

Who knows maybe I am wrong?

My take on this, and not to start a debate that's going to bring this into the civil discussion forum, but if it was on US soil, there are laws, ways and means to go about catching someone.

My problem is with the captain and first mate, and whether or not they inform the newbies on the ship that they're basically ready to die (going through and ice field without reinforced steel) to save a whale.

It's not like the young crew members could all of a sudden say "um, wait, you're ready to die? I didn't sign up for this, let me off".

My take on this, and not to start a debate that's going to bring this into the civil discussion forum

Kind of hard not to when you start off with tour first post like you did LOL laugh

Quote:
but if it was on US soil, there are laws, ways and means to go about catching someone.

Yes with as much force possible that the law enforcement agency has available them. The Japanese have found a huge loophole of sorts with painting "research" on the side of their vessel and alluding prosecution for their crimes of whaling. These people on the Sea Sheppard do things that our government agency see as stupid when fighting crime because they have fire power. The crew of the Sea Sheppard uses what? Stink bombs? IMO more power to them. Again who should police these whalers doing illegal things? I am sure you have to have a little crazy in ya to do this.

Quote:

My problem is with the captain and first mate, and whether or not they inform the newbies on the ship that they're basically ready to die (going through and ice field without reinforced steel) to save a whale.

It's not like the young crew members could all of a sudden say "um, wait, you're ready to die? I didn't sign up for this, let me off".

I do not know the training prior to them going out to sea but anyone who signs up for the Sea Muffin fully knows what they are getting into. At least as much as when people enlist in the military, U.S. Coast Guard, or the Armed Forces.

As far as the Capt. and First Mate I am very sure most of what you see is just TV induced drama. Also I have a feeling that hull is a little stronger than they make you to believe. IMO this show is most likely less dangerous than Deadliest Catch. If it is then they have DC beet wink

LM2 just razzing ya grin This show is not worth debating. I just feel it is a group of people who are putting an effort into something "good" that I will never do. It is the American Dream if you would say. They are living it. What whales do for us I really have no clue but you can not (on this planet) catch them like you do with King Crab because of harvesting laws.

They must be doing something right. They get the Coast Guards and the Australian Navy's help all the time with out getting put in jail and their ship being taken away wink.

I watched one episode. It's the last episode I'll watch. A little background on me, I spent 10 years in the Navy and have rescued more than one goofball in the middle of the ocean.

The part of this show that truely floored me is the absurd number of maritime laws these so called "Sailors" are breaking, recording the whole thing, and plastering on TV for the world to see. I found it disgusting.

Having spent 7 of my 10 year enlistment as a crew member on guided missle destroyers, cruisers, frigates, and snatch and grabs I fully understood my job was to be placed in harms way, in support of NATIONAL DEFENSE and not trying to protect a mammal.

The skipper of a ship is all powerful. With that power comes the responsability of crew safety. Any skipper, weather it be on a 16' Lund or an 80,000 ton cargo ship that willingly puts his crew in harms way (Military being the exception) needs to be immediately removed from that position.

This man has not properly trained his crew in basic deck seamanship, is an ego-maniac, has put his crew in danger, and for lack of a better term is a putz. He surely does not deserve the title of "Captain."