• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jamming shells ?

big drift

it seems when I shoot older 3" shells in T or BBB my 1300 will not shuck out the hull. After a few moments it will eject. Is there something in older shells that cause swelling upon firing or do i have a more serious problem i am not aware of. It seems no problems w/ new rounds and I try to shoot up the old first. these are several years old that I received from a freind. my gun seems to be working order and i clean it frequently to keep out dirt and debris.

Any ideas?

I had some trouble with some 3" shells, that were probably old, & even a few 2 3/4" shells that were really old (15+ years)jamming in my 870. I finally took it to a gunsmith & he said the chamber had gotten a little burred up & he smoothed it out with emery cloth. It happened another 2-3 times that year, but now I've had no trouble in the last couple of years since then. The gun was probably about 5 years old at the time.

This can be caused by 2 factors.
The first pits in the chamber will hold the casing when the brass expands and make it extremely difficult to extract.
The second could be from shooting old rounds that has tarnished brass. Again it expands and can stick to the chamber walls.