• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Is everyone a speed demon?

It seems that lots of folks you talk to are convinced that fishing a DCGs and other big bucktails has to be a 50 MPH deal all the time. I by no means dispute that is an effective way to fish 'em,given the right situation, but I'm just wondering if there's any other lazy arses like me out there who don't fish at a reel-breaking speed, even when fishing the big blades. The main reason for the question is that I almost convinced myself this off season that the two 7K's I have (that have held up fine so far the way I fish) need to be replaced because they can't get a doulbe 13 up on plane without wearing my wimpy arms out. Like I said, this isn't a "my way is better than your way post" or a "my gear is the best" post, more of a sanity check to see what others think. Also, I've done okay putting some fish in the boat at my old man speed sleepbut am wondering how many I don't catch cause I'm going to slow. Just curious.

Also, good luck this weekend!

Agreed on having as an option.

Sometimes speed thrills, and in those situations I want to be able to speed it up if that's what they want.

That said, I do slow roll a bait at times as well, and use these things called single blade bucktails once in a while too!

I'm agreeing with cjac. Depends on the fishing conditions for me. Personally with cold front type conditions I've found slower usually works better than trying to get that reaction strike. Also when using slower speeds I'm able to speed up the lure when I see a fish following and watch how it reacts, when burning you only have the figure 8 to make it happen. Definatly at night slow is the way to go. And I always try both slower and faster in an outing to compare results even though later in the summer it's mostly fast.

I too like to have the option, plus with the bigger reels, it makes "old mans" pace all the easier. Seems like a fair trade off to me, speed when I need it and easier going when I just want to reel in at a normal pace..

This year I'll have a Saltist 30HA and a 7K between these two setups and maybe one more for the smaller baits I should be fairly well covered (I think).

RU

Speed is more of a lake to lake, depth to depth thing for me. I actually prefer a steady paced retrieve to a speedy or slow rolled retrieve most of the time when fishing MN waters. Depth has a big part in it as well. I don't want to rest on the fact that muskies will travel a great distance to strike a bait. I like it to be in their kitchen. If the situation / depth calls for a slow roll then slow it is - If it's super shallow then it's speed - HOT NASTY BAD A$$ SPEED!

But like most things in this sport, it is all relative.