• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ceiling Transition

Moonshine

Hi-

I am in the process of putting in a ceiling with Armstrong 12x12 tiles and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on tranistioning that to another room with tiles of a much different pattern. The gap I will need to cover should be less than four inches and was thinking of just tacking in a stained narrow strip of wood. Any other thoughts? If it helps, I am attaching the tiles with furring strips so I do have something to attach the transistion to.

Thanks!!!

I'm not sure exactly the way your rooms are laid out or the style of house but you could consider using some wood and building a beam to cover the transition area. Then stain it to watch whatever wood work is already there. It might make it look like its part of the architecture of the house. It might depend on location of the beam and style of the house if it will look good and blend in but its another step up from just using a strip of wood.

You could simply build the beam by building a 3 sided box 4"x4"x4"x whatever the lenght is.

Just a thought anyways.

Go to a sheetmetal fabricator and have them bend you an angle the same size you need to cover. They can use a paint lock, or have them bend up a white. We do it all the time on commercial ceilings, and you don't notice it at all.

The wood will accent the change IMHO.

Two ways of going about it. Try to blend or celebrate it.

A picture of the entire area and a close up would help here. You said two rooms. Is this a door way or opening? Same ceiling height?

Depending on what condition the other ceiling is in you could do both. Or sheetrock both.

The room transitions from one to the other via a small hallway that already has ceiling tile as well. It is also at the same height. I like the previous ideas about creating a box. I'll give it a shot and see how it turns out.

Thanks!