• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

WI musky reports HERE!!

Well Saturday during the bachelors party my brother texted me "we got a 50 out of lake 26" followed by an extreme angle picture. Of course it came out to 50 centimeters on the nose. They had a couple other follows.

Sunday had one strike and one follow plus an unknown fish on for a while. The one strike turned my small bucktail into an L so it was probably good sized.

Was out this morning for 5 hours and didn't see a fish. My brother had snagged a nice snapper but he didn't get it to the boat.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I couldn't break my Wissota jinx the fish cooperated for others. A pair of 43.5" from Wissota and a 39 and 33" on Holcombe. Moonrise accounted for 3 of those 4 fish and a bunch more were seen then.

Might not get out for another week, getting the bowhunting itch pretty bad.

9 days left - I'm heading out to do some scouting tonight. League for muskies goes through the end of the month, so I'll be out at least once a week until then. I also may do a sucker fishing day or two in October.

Made it out to Round (New Auburn) Sunday. Had a couple of fish follow hot on double 8's being burnt, but they wouldn't eat. Didn't get a real good look at either but I'm guessing both were upper 30's. Also had a really little guy (might have been a pike) blow up on a WtD topwater, but no hookup. My brother caught a lot of pike and bass on a small crank.

Monday morning hit a local lake and didn't see a thing. One guy I talked to (bass fisherman, go figure) caught one he didn't measure, but I'm guessing it was only about 30" from his description.

Nice fish trimbelle, keep us updated - will be interesting to see how the river treats you this fall.

This past Wed was a bust during league. One or two fish lost, most boats didn't even move anything. My bud did get a 42 on Tues right at moonrise.

Hit Shell today, and the weather was rough, I hate it when the gentle breeze just slowly pushes you exactly how you want to work a weedline :P

Anyway you weren't kidding Coot, those slimers are everywhere. I bet we caught a couple dozen and I think I alone had 50 more just follow. My brother boated a 38.5", and I had one very brief hookup that felt like a better fish. My other brother had one blow-up at a tangled lure as he was skipping it across the water to get it back in, this too was a decent fish. Red and white were the colors and it had to have some speed to it over weeds.

And whoever was wondering earlier in the year this was definitely a Wisconsin fish and not Leech Lake.

IMG_1663.jpg

Umm, it was between 4' and 7' for most of those weeds. There were 2 different kinds of cabbage, and the fish (and lots of baitfish) seemed to only be on that kind. You had to be away from sand and rocks as well, the only thing there was occasional globs of algae.

thats interesting that the fish you guys saw were all that shallow and right in with the weeds and algae. I guess I have never musky fished on Shell, but I have always heard they troll the hard bottom areas for fish in the fall. Like you said though, there were probably a lot of baitfish in the cabbage.

Have you guys heard about the 61" fish everyone is talking about on the musky board? That is insane, cant wait to see some pictures and read the story...

Big musky tourney on Yellow Lake up in Burnett Co. this weekend. 47 boats caught 7 muskies, 4 over 40", biggest 44". Biggest northern 37 1/2". Tourney started at 8:00. 6 of the 7 muskies caught were in the first hour. No fish after 10:30.

Kind of an interesting result there Don, guess they had a small feeding window. Part of why they are so frustrating to fish for at times.

I was at a wedding chasing a different sort of girl this past weekend. Should get out Friday and Saturday this week, I have a baptism to attend Sunday so I can't get out then.

Was out on Trade Lake Sunday (only a class C) and didn't see much. One follow but it was small and I'm not even sure it was a muskie, it was awfully dark, maybe a dogfish...

Were you on the Trade lake in Burnett Cnty? If so yo have any recommendations on which landing is the best? Im going to give it a try on Sunday I think.

Thanks

Ryan

Originally Posted By: Nick Kuhn
Was out on Trade Lake Sunday (only a class C) and didn't see much. One follow but it was small and I'm not even sure it was a muskie, it was awfully dark, maybe a dogfish...

Were you on the Trade lake in Burnett Cnty? If so yo have any recommendations on which landing is the best? Im going to give it a try on Sunday I think.

Thanks

Ryan

Both landings are pretty shallow without a dock. The one towards the east end of the lake is a little better from the looks of it.

Been away from the computer for a while but have an update. We had our musky tourney this past weekend and ended up with 266 people and 92 muskies. Biggest was 50.5, also had a 49 and several 48s,47s, right on down the line.

Last night in league we had a 36 and 37 on Wissota and a 48, 45, 38, and 36 on Holcombe.

Don't really have any tips, as I said it was my first time there and I believe there was curly-leaf pondweed still up. Any fish we did see there were more on the sharp break weedlines as opposed to the weed flats, but they may have changed with the season. Move around until you find some baitfish would be a good idea. Also I don't think you can make it into Little Trade unless your boat can navigate 10" of water.