• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stand Stealers!

bigbucks

I've had a stand stolen off of private land. I didn't have anyway to know who took it. It wasn't my land, but it was a friend of mine's land.

It really ticks you off, because it had every right to be there & who knows if whoever took it even was supposed to be there. The frustrating thing is too, is that the only way to get there is to walk through someone's back yard.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never leave my stand ever in the woods in public land. According to the regulations: no stand may be left overnite. Any stands left overnite on public land becomes public to everyone, you or I cannot force them off it, this includes permanent stands and blinds. Public land is just that, public, first come first serve, for me if I wanted to hunt a spot I'd be their first before anyone else. Even though you did wrong by leaving your stand out overnite, no one should ever take what isn't theirs. I report tree stands that are left for more than 2 nights on public land to local warden. It is unfair to everybody when someone reserves a spot that is public to everone else.
Here's a story that'll ruffle alot of feathers. 2yrs ago on bowhunting opener on public land, we got to the early early so to not get kicked out by other hunters who show up later. As daylight start to show itself on the horizon another bowhunter came toward my uncle. Low and behold the late hunter stopped 20ft from my uncle and proceed to climb that tree. My uncle looked higher in the tree and there it was that guys' treestand is already sitting there. My uncle whistle and flicker his flashlight at him but that guy insisted he already claimed the spot because his stand is already there. They both sat in their stands staring at each other. I sat in my stand 50yds away as all this happened. This is the reason the regulation states no treestand may be left overnite on public land.

Maybe I am misinformed here. Where does it say that a stand cannot be left overnight? I seen that it said it for State parks and WMA's but not for other public lands. The land that I was hunting is tax forfeit land and county land. I have never seen this in any manual that I have ever read. If someone out there knows where it could be found, I would like to see it. Anyway it does not give the right for someone to steal the stand!

I know this opens up a whole new can of worms but here it goes. I looked at page 64 of the regs. It states WMA's and state parks; in which it has a list of them. The area that I am hunting is not a WMA nor a park. From what I gathered from the reg book it is not illegal to leave your "portable" stand on public land as long as it is not in a WMA or State park. Granted it is public property to use...which I could care less. If anybody out there has any other opinions on this topic..lets hear them. If I am in the wrong, I would definately like to know. Either way, the guy that stole it, best not make himself known to me. He may be smellllllin' what the rock is cookin!

EXTREME
Is it possible that after months of that stand sitting there that possibly someone thought it was abandoned??????? It is approaching fall and you did say you put it out there last fall, that is a mighty long time, not that is right that your stand is gone but maybe check around and you will find your stand, may have been totally unintentional.

------------------
barebackjack IBOT#197
Why ride the wagon when the walk is so scenic?????????

i have had the same thing happen to me on private land. I put out a portable before season and went to hunt it opener of bow season and it was gone. i ended up sitting on the ground and actually got a deer. it was my first day bow hunting. now i buy a lock for my portables and take out some steps so someone cant climb up as easy.

------------------
a bad day at the lake is better than a good day at work

First of all, when I see a deer stand in the woods, I think it's a beauty to behold. I think of the time someone took to scout around the area and pick that tree. I visualize him sitting up there and waiting and waiting for that sighting only a hunter can understand. I have no problem with stands(portable) left up in the woods, and would never think of "invading" that particular area. Though our land is becoming scarce, there still is plenty of woods out there. Half the fun of hunting is scouting a tree stand location. I hope you morons that steal stands would just stay out of the woods and leave it to the ethical hunter. We pick-up your garbage and turn in poachers. A real deer hunter understands values and sportsmanship. My soap box is tipping over so I'll stop! Happy stand hunting everyone!

Thought I would post this because yesterday I was pretty chapped when I came out of the woods. Last fall I put a stand in a balsam patch only a couple of feet off the ground. I thought it was better than sitting on a wet log. Anyway to make a long story short, I went to retrieve the stand yesterday only to find out that some low life needed it more than I did. The area I hunt is public, but very rarely used. I believe the thief to be a logger that was doing some work on another balsam patch about a 1/2 mile away, but cannot be sure. What kind of lowlife does this sort of thing? Is it safe to put another stand in the area? I am writing this to vent a little. Have any of you out there ever experienced this; and how did you deal with it?

Bottom line: don't leave you stands on public ground!
Had two of them stolen even after brushing them in to where you would have to walk up to the tree and look straight up to see it!
Plus, a game warden can remove them and you don't have a thing to say if you leave them on WMA's and Waterfowl Production Area's.
And if you have your name on them, then you would recieve a ticket in the mail for leaving a tree stand overnight.
I'm going the pop-up blind routine this year,
so I can just take it with me when I leave the woods. No more climbing and sweating and almost killing yourself by falling out of a tree.
The blind looks pretty good and easy to use.
Plus it should be great for keeping them mosquitoes away from you, or at least you can swat at them without being seen!
The treestands i'll put up will only go up on private land and left there all season!
Good Luck!

I may have a lead on who stole the stand. My hunting partner was shooting at the 3-D range with one of his friends. They got to talking about stands and this guy mentioned that he knew where you could steal one. My best friend inquired and the area he mentioned was where we hunted. Kind of interesting that 4 wheeler tracks around my area matched his. I will ask him politely if he stole the stand; since I have no proof. But anyway, thanks for all the responses on this subject. All of you guys have had great opinions and suggestions. Keep them coming; I know that I am not the only guy to have a stand stolen.

IMO, If the stand was left out after season it was not stolen, it was salvaged abandoned property. And, IMHO, anyone who would leave a stand on public property to pre-empt the use of public property for themselves is a J@(k-&ss, not that, thats why you left the stand, just in general, the pre-empting of the use of public land is unethical and unsportsmanlike.

Maybe if I left my bicycle leaning up against a lamp post overnight I could expect it to be there in the norning. I think not, even though it's more than legal.

If you lose your stand because you left it overnight, legal or not, it's your own fault.

[This message has been edited by workinman (edited 08-24-2004).]

Bottom line is --- If it is not yours, dont touch it. Dont matter what or where it is. Those of you saying he deserved to have it stolen- Is that what you teach your kids??? That it is ok to take something that is not yours if it is there illegally. If a car is parked in a no parking zone and the keys are in it--- Just take the car??? come on guys if it aint yours dont touch it

We're not talkin cars and we're not talking kids, we're talking about leaving a stand on public land for almost a year. If it's after season it don't belong there. Not to say taking it was right, but leaving it there was wrong.

If you find a $5 bill on the ground you keep it. If you find a rapala in some rocks or on a tree branch you keep it, fine. How in the heck are you going to find somebody for something like that & they're probably not going to know they left it for a long time.

You find somebody's tree stand, tackle box, gun, etc. you either leave it there or turn it in somewhere saying what you found. That said, a whole year left on public land I can see someone saying to themselves, "The guy must have moved away & forgot it or got killed in a car accident". I'm not saying that's what happened, but it could have.

The stand I had stolen was taken from private land during about a 3 week stretch in November, during season. It's obvious someone intentionally stole that. I used it the morning before gun season & then went back to get it the night before Thanksgiving, gone...

Leaving your stand on private land and land you have permission to hunt isn't what we're talking about. This is public land, a place open to all. No, he does not deserve it, never was intented for it to get stolen and to whomever that stoled it, hope that person gets busted. Bottom line is it's no ones fault other than the owner who left it unattended on public land. If you leave it, you advertised it. This is also a good lesson to anyone else that leaves their stand(s) on public hunting land.

I disagree, I think people have given their opinions and given suggestions. On that note this is fact, there are untrustworthy people out there, and if anyone is under the belief those people do not hunt or enjoy outdoors, they are dead wrong, no insult to anyone intended here. If society was perfect minnow, EXTREME would still be in posession of his portable.

------------------
barebackjack IBOT#197
Why ride the wagon when the walk is so scenic?????????

I have to say Bogsucker that your line of reasoning here may be the dumbest thing I've ever heard. What's your next post going to be, "losers weepers, finders keepers"???

Just because you find something in the woods, like a stand hanging in a tree, does not mean that it's yours for the taking. Whether the owner should have left it there or not, it does not mean that it's right for someone else to take it.