• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

new hunting rifle

osok

If you were going to buy a new hunting rifle and your choices were either an 25-06 or a 7mm remington mag. which way would you go?
to give a quick history, I already have a .300 H&H in the safe and am looking for something alittle more "whitetail" orientated (sp?). Might use it varmit hunting. I know both are flat shooters but am very very perplexed on which rifle to get. any opinions would be great.
Good fishing, OSOK

[This message has been edited by osok (edited 08-17-2004).]

osak,

I've got a Rem. 7 mag. BDL, it's a very nice rifle and I've taken quite a few deer with it in MN but I've gone back to my Rem. .308. Reason being, most of the shots I take where I hunt are 150 yards or less and the bullet speed and impact of the 7 mag, can really tear up a whitetail. It's not a problem if you get it right behind the shoulder and through the ribs clean but I've caught the shoulder blade going into the deer a couple of times and it makes a pretty big hole.

If you're going to shoot varmints, like prairie dogs and you plan on putting quite a few rounds through it, a 7 mag. can also get pretty abusive to shoot.

Ole

Like the other guy said... the 25-06 would probably be the better choice of the two you listed, but I'd try and steer you to a 270 that uses the WSM's (Winchester short mags) enough power to hunt anything in this state and you can take a trip out west and take down what it has to offer as well! In the end you should go see a bunch of guns at your local gander/galyans/reeds or whomever sells them and pick the guys minds that are working the hunting area (as long as there not kids) and tell them what your hunting for, what area and they will help you out alot. I own a Browning 270 WSM A-Bolt rifle.... Very nice!

Having shot six boxes of shells through a Browning BAR 7mm mag before at prairie dogs (pre owning a 220 swift) I'd say it isn't a realistic thing to think of shooting at that kind of varmints. Nice and flat but WAY more then a person wants to shoot. I ended up selling it because the thing was so big and cumbersome for MN deer hunting and got a Browning BAR ligthweight 30-06 instead and love it. But I have on order a Winchester lightweight 25 WSSM and am just waiting to see what it shoots like. Having taken a whitetail last year at 420 yards with a 257 Roberts the 25's will reach out and touch things.

------------------
So many scientists, so few rockets.

Well folks, I ordered the rifle yesterday.
25-06 stainless/laminated stock.
Really looking forwards to deer season.
It was a tuff choice deciding which rifle to go with, so I made an "executive decision" ..........flip of a coin.
rifle should be here tues. or wes.
now I am debating over scopes, would love to go with one that has mil dots or simuliar but haven't quite figured that out.
Reeds is having a big sale Sat & Sun so a browsing I will go.
As far as WSM or USM??? I am going to wait till they have more time in the field have heard nasty rumors about bol failures and premature barrel wear with them so......
If anybody knows different and wants to explain please do, knowledge is good......
.......Thnx
DAVE