• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1983 15hp Evinrude problems

MN Angler

Hey everyone my 15 hp 1983 Evinrude is not starting. Over MN opener this year It worked great one day and the next all of a sudden would not start. I found that I had a cracked fuel filter cap which was leaking bad. I thought replacing that would be my problem solver. Replaced the filter cap and nothing. Just wondering where to start troubleshooting.

Thanks

Check the compression, if for nothing else, to get a baseline.

When you pulled the plugs, were they wet or dry? If it appears to not be getting gas, spray some carb cleaner into the intake and see if you can get it to fire. If it does, then it sounds like you may have to clean the carb or the inlet needle could be stuck shut for some reason.

Another thing to look at would be water in the gas. Squeeze some right out of the hose into a glass jar and look for water.

Another thing to look at would be water in the gas. Squeeze some right out of the hose into a glass jar and look for water.

That's something I'd check as well... when you say you had a cracked gas cap it's certainly a possibility.

marine_man

Ok thanks I tried starting fluid the other day and it did nothing. The spark plugs were wet when I pulled them. It is probably about time to clean the carb anyway so I will pull that out sometime this week too. Thanks for the troubleshooting list everyone I will try and run through it this week.

MN Angler

If the plugs are wet you are getting gas or you have water in the cylinders. Water will bead up and when you slap the plug into the palm of your hand, if you have distinguishable dropplets in your hand its water.

If you are 100% sure you have spark, double check the gas for water and do a compression test. But I dont think you have a carb issue unless its extremly flooded.

Some new information here. When I checked for spark the other day I used my vehicle because it was hard to do it on my motor with only one person. Found out today I have one bad plug wire. Since only one of the plug wires is bad would'nt it still start with the other one being good? No water in the gas but have not checked compression yet.