• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Yamaha 8 horse

Asandir

I have a 8 horse yamaha that I bought in 2006. It has worked flawlessly till last fall. I use it for trolling muskies at around 3-4 mph.

Last October I had to have it half choked to get it to run. It would idle normal, but as soon as I needed to give it gas I had to half choke it. It was ran in July and worked fine, but it wasn't used again till October and that is when I seen the problem.

Changed out the plugs, and didn't help. Took apart the carb and cleaned that out with no luck.

Any help would be welcome. Hoping not to have to spend too much money to get it fixed but need to get it running again.

Sure sounds like a carb problem to me... especially if pulling the choke improved the situation.

You took the entire carb apart, blew out all the orifices / jets / ports with carb cleaner and compressed air?

What happens if you squeeze the primer bulb when it wants to die?

It could also be a fuel restriction, but I think I'd start with the carb first.

marine_man

I had the same problem with my 4hp Suzuki. Are you using non-ox gas all the time and not the stuff out of the regular pumps? Must me a jet that has gunked up from the ethanol they put in the regular gas.

I had put countless hours on my Yamaha 8hp T8 always using premium gas without any problems. I would troll nearly 100% of the time fishing.

A friend has the same motor and fills with 87 octane. He has had numerous problems with idling and sputtering. Cost him around $150 the last time he had it to the dealer.

I know others who use regular 87 octane and have had no problems.

For the price we pay for gas nowdays - you would think the problems would be minimal.