• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

3 pt rule

dwag70

So it it pretty much clear that every one feels it is a matter of personal choice on what to shoot but how do you feel if the state steps in and gives all hunters a rule (like penn.) 3 PT on a side. Remember that we do not have the right to hunt but it is a privledge given by the state you live in.

I will not express my opinion on all of this but I would like to say one thing. A recent poll in Penn. showed that the majority of hunters are now against the point restriction (prior to this, most favored a point restriction). Many are calling for Alt's (I think that is his name) job as a matter of fact. There is a movement out there to boycot doe tag licenses as well. Sounds like a lot of problems exist. If anyone is interested, I will try post it here if I can dig it up!

It will be interesting to see what happens in Pennsylvania!!! Its the only place with a deer hunting traditions and lots of whitletails where a whole state is REQUIRED to follow the minimun. If they continue with the rule long enough it should prove whether a 'minimum point restriction' is all peaches and cream like the QDM guys claim or whether its a bunch of malarky. Better them experimenting than us!!

Dawg, I hope it doesn't come to that, where a vocal MINORITY is able to set the hunting laws (or any laws for that matter - Thats why iniative and referendum is a bad idea, a vocal minority can have undue influence, but thats another subject for another day.) In DNR surveys, the majority of the hunters are happy with the way the deer season is now.

What will I do? Follow the law, of course. Its either that or go out of state.

I just read an article in Deer & Deer Hunting that seamed to indicate the state was pretty happy with the results of the antler restrictions in Pennsylvania. I don't know if this is the case of the biologists seeing it one way & the other hunters another?

It did talk about the fact that since so few yearling bucks were killed that most of them were displaced anywhere from I think 3-6 miles by the mature does in the area driving them off. I don't know what the significance of that is, as I would assume where some are driven out, others are likely driven in.

I definitely wouldn't be in favor of the point restriction myself.

I apologize up front if I missed something in THIS thread. I also know nothing about Pennsylvania regulations and their history.

My question is- When did Pennsylvania implement the point restriction? I think its a good idea, I also don't think you can evaluate a program like this after 2, or even 3 years. It's something that is going to take awhile, and if hunters are upset after 2 years, I can understand... after 3-4 years, they might need to reevaluate the program.