• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dove Season

Norsk Fisker

I have not hunted doves for over 30 years. I am really looking forward to warming up the barrel on my shotgun. I was pretty good years ago when stationed in Texas. I averaged over one bird per five rounds but did as well as two or three. Back then an E-2 didn't earn much money, so my buddy and I each bought a cheap single shot 12 ga. and invested the rest of our spare change in shells. Other than waterfowl hunting, it was some of the most pleasurable shooting I have done.

Lets get out and have a great time. Just remember, be safe, respect private property, and remember that a lot of non hunters will be watching. This is a great opportunity to expand our hunting provilages, lets make the most of it.

Good post Norsk! I will be out. I did a non-scientific roadside count and came up with over 200 doves in about 100 miles. Lots of birds so the action should be fun. It will be nice to shoot something other than the 12 guage for awhile! Have fun all and good luck!

This will be great.

I grew up in Arizona hunting dove from the time I was about 9 years old. Was very surprised when I moved to MN in 1999 there was no dove season.

Will remind me of back home...although I'm sure the hunting style will be much different.

In AZ, we'd setup a blind near orange groves, and shoot them on the path in and out.

What do you guys plan on doing up here?

I am going to head South and West. I hope to find some upland areas with sparse cover and a small water hole or creek. I'll watch for flyway areas and pack in a shotgun and a few boxes of shells. Be sure to bring along a bunch of excuses for missing. If you need some I'm sure I could come up with a few extra for you.

I was thinking about it and I think the first place I'll try is a little WMA just south of metro.

Do you think you will use a blind or just park somewhere? I'm thinking first season for dove in so long here, just sitting still might do it.

Also, what about decoys, any plans there?

Although it's not illegal I hope you weren't serious about shooting off wires. That would be good fuel for the anti's and not a good image for sportsman. Please use good common sense out there.

I plan to take a couple of walks around where I've seen them on my property recently & see if I can't shoot some on the flush. I fully expect to just be making noise & warming up my gun barrel, but I've never heard of shooting birds without firing.

Well, if anyone's interested, I'd be more than willing to try some tactics from my 12+ years of hunting dove in AZ with you.

During that time, we had some self-imposed regulations that we followed, those are:

1) Never shoot a dove at perch (that includes on a wire, on a branch, etc.)
2) Never shoot a dove that is in the act of eating
3) Never shoot a dove while it is drinking

Basically what this leaves you with, is you can only shoot doves on the fly.

I think this gives the bird respect, and it challenges the hunter.

In any case, I plan to still follow these self-imposed guidelines regardless of the legal limitations that are usually less than that.

Anyone interested in giving it a try, email me at:

[email protected]

Hunting for doves sounds like fun. The only other bird I hunt is grouse, but unfortunately, I'm only able get out once maybe twice a year.

But, dove hunting sounds like something I can do locally (Jordan area), and may be able to bring my son along for some time a field together.

Anyone have any pointers for a beginner dove hunter? Such as to what I should be looking for in areas to hunt? What is the best time of day to be out there? Also, what does dove taste like? Do you just take the breast?

Thanks
--eric

[This message has been edited by eribac (edited 08-18-2004).]

That's correct, that WMA does not allow lead (as far as the rest of the state, from what I've read Dove may be considered migratory and be no-lead state wide as well).

I figured I'd go with Steel 7.5 shot, but use 3" mags instead of the usual 2 3/4" to get that extra charge.

No way I'm spending the money Hevishot or any or exotics to hunt doves with!

The season starts Sept 1st.

Lets make this easy for everyone.

Use of Lead Shot
• No person may take ducks, geese, mergansers, coots, or moorhens
with lead shot or while having lead shot in possession.
• Lead shot may be used statewide for hunting other small game
in accordance with firearms restrictions in this booklet, except
in federal Wildlife Refuges and Waterfowl Production Areas
(see pages 132-137).

Thanks Biglake bass, KPJ5 was correct in reference to the WMA we were discussing however it is good to know that doesn't mean that it's the same state wide (which I already knew)... hopefully that will help everybody.