• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where are Rifle Ranges??

bklimek

Does anybody know of a good rifle range in the metro area? I need to start shooting for the upcoming season. I am looking for a nice range where you can shoot 100 to 200 yards.

Oakdale is $15.00 for the first gun, $25.00 for the second and $35.00 for three or more.

The 200 yard range is closed until the 18th and the 50 yard range is closed until further notice, due to construction.

Moon Valley also charges. I sighted in there last year. Charges are roughly the same as Oakdale.

It's a nice range, and they do have a spotter.

But in an effort to give accurate information, I have to say I was very disappointed in that the staff was extremely rude there, and very rushing. They said, OK, you have 3 shots, and they meant it, 3 shots and I was told 'you are done'. I ended up re-sighting on the land of a guy I met who has 40 acres and a pretty nice bench.

Also at Moon Valley, I brought my father-in-law along just to watch, and they made him pay $10 just to watch me. I thought that was a little weird.

But, I guess with extremely little competition, these places can do whatever they want.

Not like the good old days when I'd take a half dozen guns out to open range on public land and sight 'em in for free...but the world changes.

Last time I was at Moon Valley they had a guy spotting for you. At the Forrest lake one (Which I prefer) they had scopes. I liked the forest lake one because they dug out shooting lanes and kind of made berms on the sides so the wind isn't as much as a factor. Plus they have a range out to 300 yds. Or at least they used to. And they both charged a few bucks per gun. Moon Valley I think went out to 200 yds.

------------------
So many scientists, so few rockets.

[This message has been edited by Cootz (edited 08-11-2004).]

If your are eligible to be a member of the American Legion or Sons of the American Legion, Post 435 has a gun club south of Lakeville off interstate 35. Search on-line for Post 435 gun club for information and applications.

There is one off of HWY 65, on the east side near Ham Lake/East Bethel. I think it is called Beaverbrook or something. I believe that one is only open on weekends, and may only be the 4 Sats. leading to the opener. There is usually a good wait, I wanna say like 10 to 15 lanes, with benches, scopes and guys that change out yer targets.

Lat time I checked that was the case sarge, but, there is always armored fire in circle pines if a guy doesnt want more than 50 yards, indoor range and i believe you can bring any caliber in there, I know there is a limit to that but I have brought most common deer rifles there. Price is around 15 and i think half that for additionals.

------------------
barebackjack IBOT#197
Why ride the wagon when the walk is so scenic?????????

Hello, i'm from SE MN, and use Ceder Valley Club just north of Austin. i was there today. great day, shot my rifles at the 100 and 200 METER range. ( I just found out today that the ranges are in meters, not yards). went over to the handgun range. shot 3 of my guns. My boy shot his Air-Soft gun at the targets too.. it was fun. only time i can not shoot is Sunday mornings and Tue evenings, they have trap league then.
all this for $20 a year. trap is $3.50 a round. to use there official stuff, or use there hand trap for free.
we have over 700 members from all over the state.
You guys up there, might want to think about joining here, might be worth the drive, never a crowd, except for right before deer season. LOL.
stay safe..

BeaverBrook gun club is East off hwy 65 about a mile and a half, then turn left and follow road all the way to the back.

They are open the last Saturday in September all the way through the last weekend befor opener on weekends only.

There are 10 tables,25 yard,50 yard and 100 yard berms, spoting scopes and targets provided as well as helpers to get you sighted in.

It will cost around $7.00 per gun and you will need eye protection and ear plugs.

I recament ear plugs and muffs to be worn together, those Browning boss rifles have a lot of side presure that after a while gets to you bad.

Benny