• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Transplanting turkeys

Shwangman

Does the DNR transplant turkeys still and if so, how does a person go about seeing if this is a possible request? The land I hunt by Watertown, I have never seen one or in the area but down the road in St.Boni, they are running all over the place.

Not sure about the DNR still doing too much turkey transplanting, but I have found that clover and acorns are great attractors of turkeys. If you don't have Oak trees and a clover field I would suggest to do some planting.

The MN DNR talked seriously about dicontinuing the turkey transplanting program this year stating that they met or surpassed all their goals and money being what it is these days. The NWTF did not support the dicontinuing of the program. But I don't recall the offical final word.

Habitat, habitat, habitat!

Secure roosts, nesting and brood rearing and lots of it. I've seen birds in your area over the years. The whole central MN area has the same issue. There are only so many places that will hold birds. They seems to need about six different woodlots where there feel secure so they can move from one to another when disturbed. After being bumped for any reason they may not be back for a week or longer. Sometimes they seems to travel a path that takes a week to complete as they rotate roosts. Around my place, two new houses have cut off two travel ways. The birds used to cross and mingle. Now there are three completely separate flocks. They all spread from the same transplants in the mid 90's.

So, work on the habitat and limit disturbance, control the coons, skunks, opossums (all nest raiders.)

ha, habitat, there is one living in the middle of my town, pretty much in my neighbors tree. it stops traffic on main street, and clucks all morning long! maybe we could catch it and transplant it to your neck of the woods as its becoming a nusiance here!

Hunting solves that problem in a hurry!

Shwangman:

Join the Carver chapter of the NWTF, you'll learn what they are doing close to you, talk with those that see/track local flocks and might make a connection for a place to hunt.

Besides PF and the NWTF put on great banquets.

Hunting solves that problem in a hurry!

Shwangman:

Join the Carver chapter of the NWTF, you'll learn what they are doing close to you, talk with those that see/track local flocks and might make a connection for a place to hunt.

Besides PF and the NWTF put on great banquets.

That's the best advice. Get involved in the NWTF. My chapter in Woodbury/Oakdale (East Metro Full Fans) was started by a guy who ownes property in Pine County and wanted to see turkeys there. After just a few years of land management, as suggested by the NWTF, he was rewarded by turkeys being transplanted onto his land. This is an area that even 15 years ago no one believed could hold turkeys. They are now flourishing thanks to one mans dream.

Here's an idea: The DNR keeps the transplant project going by trapping birds from within the metro area where hunting is not allowed. Chaska, Eden Prairie...two hens walked by my office window in April 1/4 mile from 494 in Plymouth. They move geese and deer (when not shot by sharpshooters) all the time.

Shwangman - good to hear you're joining the club - NWTF! Banquets are ofter just prior to spring season, gets you fired up and maybe some new gear.

We had the dnr release a group of 14 last winter, north of us 4 miles. We also released 6 hens late last winter in an area i hunt. Then about 5-6 years ago the had let 15 or so go. We now might get a hunting season next year. You don't see them alot, but they are very skiddish here anyway. They also cover alot of ground.

They also go where the food is. We hardly saw any this winter, but they were in the standing corn. Have seen some this spring. Hope the have a good hatch. They seem to populate fast, they just need the right habitat and good food.

I wonder how a guy goes about asking the DNR if they would even consider transplanting those by EP and Chanhassen. I drive highway 5 sometimes and the intersection of 5 & 41 you can see a bunch of them walking around and all of those birds will die of old age because they are on U of M land.

Thanks Leaddog.

Try contacting Steve Walters, think he's still your local CO. Good guy, too. If you talk to him, I'm the guy that used to hunt with a 80# male Samoyed (all white husky.)

Also talk to the NWTF, they'd be involved.

Good luck.

I live in Brooklyn Center and had my wife walk right up to two jakes with her red coat on to take pic's and they just stood they and gave her some close up's. I've also seen one that waits for the mail truck and follows him down the street when he comes by! So it is odd how they adapt! crazy