• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Kayak Paddle Length

As usually happens, internet searches for clear, consistent information have proven to be more confusing than useful. So, I'll ask the question here: How long should my kayak paddle be for my solo canoe? I've heard from folks that a kayak paddle works much better than a canoe paddle, so I'm going to try one out, but I can't figure out how long I should buy.

Any advice?

Using a Kayak paddle in a canoe, Always look for the longer length since you are sitting so much higher above the water. Your arm stroke will determine another factor being how tall you are. Then remember to keep your shoulders level as you stroke to

keep your balance. Hope this helps you out.

Been a Canoe and Kayak user since 76. Have hundreds of miles on

both. Kayaks are far easier to paddle from experience I say this.

I picked up 230 cm paddle last fall as a spare for my solo. I don't like it, my muscles are not accustomed to that type of paddling, I tired out real quick. That and the fact when you use a kayak paddle, you are going to get wet, drip rings or not. Not good when paddling in the spring or fall.

I'll give it a go a few more times but I think I'll probably end up picking up another canoe paddle for a spare.