• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Entry / Beginners DSLR

My wife and I are considering upgrading from a old point and shoot camera to a DSLR, and would like to keep our purchase under $1,000. Most of our shots will be of our kids, but outdoor pictures are not out of the question by any means.

There have been a few posts about a similar topic, but most are a year old and I suspect some improvements have been made since then.

Thanks!

marine_man

Some of the latest point and shoots can do work beyond the capabilities of 90% of the photographers out there.

Recently I saw images from a wedding in California where the photog shot the whole wedding [outdoors] with a Canon G9 and a Panasonic Lumix LX3. The images looked much better than most of the wedding stuff you see on the net.

A person with a good point and shoot who has "the eye" can outgun the pro who has $10,000 worth of gear. I suspect it's always been that way. Just like the guy in the 14' boat with the 9.9 Evinrude on it-if he's pulling in the Walleyes one after the other,watch the big $30,000 deep V's migrate closer to him! grin

I just went through the same thing not to long ago. I did a lot of research and the guys on this site were awesome and provide a lot of good info.

In the end, my wife bought me a DSLR for my birthday so I didn't have a lot to say about what I got...but I couldn't be more happy. She went with the Canon XSI which is the older model of the Canon mentioned above. I think the major difference between the two is a couple of megapixels and the newer model shoots video.

I am very happy with the XSI and its more camera then I will ever need. I upgraded the glass (lens) and went with a Canon wide angle zoom 18-200mm IS. Someone on this site mentioned that it was wiser to upgrade the lens over the body...as the quality of the lens would be much more noticeable...and I have to agree. Loving it. This has become a very additive hobby and I find myself buying new gadgets all the time...lenses, lens covers and hoods, tripods, monopods..flashes..etc.

I think the vast majority of the entry level DSLRs on the market are awesome and more then enough for what you are looking for. I would suggest going out to the local shop and playing with a few and seeing what fits you the best. Good luck with your search and let us know what you ended up getting. Take care.

Cliffy.