• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

near end result of al lindner paper

Burnham

many of you helped me out in finding information on al lindner, and a few wanted me to post the paper. it is not completely done as i am going to get up early and tweak it some, but for the most part here is what i believe will be turned in tomorrow..input is welcome

oh and some of the smaller "paragraphs" are just quotes, its part of the format, but doesnt show up perfect on here

ryan burnham

Not too long ago when someone went fishing all they typically had was bait, line, a pole, and a lot of patience. These items are still used by many anglers today, just in a much different fashion. Today those in pursuit of "The big one" typically have the tools and education needed to consistently have success when they are out on the water, and much of this success is a result of Al Lindner. Throughout the last thirty years, Al Lindner has played a very influential role in the development of freshwater fishing. He has had an impact on today's anglers in many ways, from being one of the key people in the creation of the Lindy Rig, and a co-founder of In Fisherman. To his current show that is called "Lindner's Angling Edge". It is evident that through his actions he has forever changed the way people fish across America.

Growing up in Chicago, Al always had a passion for fishing. "I can't rememer a time when I didn't fish."(Al's Life Story). He would often go to his grandmother's house in Hayward, Wisconsin. When there he would often fish from shore, and when lucky he was able to fish with his uncles in a boat. Over time Al grew more serious about fishing, after winning a competition he very quickly began to recieve recognition.

"When I was sixteen and enjoying one of my many summers at Grandma's, I entered a Musky Derby and won! I actually got paid for fishing. I was also interviewed by the local paper and did a snippet for the TV sports news in nearby Duluth. With that incredible experience, my fate was sealed. I was destined to become a professional sport fisherman."

Everything in his life revolved around fishing, whenever there was a school paper to be written the topic was about fishing. Al also had a stint in Vietnam, while most soldiers brought a Bible along with them, he decided a few fishing books would do. He wouldn't just casually look at them either, he would study them and squeeze every bit of knowledge out of them. "These tattered, marked, and underlined booklets were as well annotated as many of my fellow soldiers' Bibles."(Al's Life Story). When he came back from Vietnam, Al and his brother Ron eventually ended up moving to Minnesota. Armed with a seven and a half horse motor and a dependable knowledge of how to catch fish, they both had a goal in mind. They had their eyes set on creating a tackle business and providing a guide service. From this point on it is evident that Al and his brother made history, as this is the beginning of the Lindner story, the story that has had a lasting influence on the way people across the nation fish.

Al and Ron both had the same vision of starting a tackle company. Early on in their business, "Ron was the inventor, and Al was the catcher."(Northwoods Legacy). This partnership worked very well for the two of them. One of the first creations they came up with was a live bait rig, of which they named the "Lindy Rig". The Lindy Rig consists of swivel, a sinker, and a hook tipped with bait. The point of it is to keep the bait at a constant depth along te bottom of the body of water. Both Al and Ron showed their product to a writer from Star Tribune, only to get rejected due to the fact that the writer thought the item wouldn't sell.(Northwoods Legacy). This did not slow down the Lindner brothers though, as they continued to show people their great creation.

"Al Lindner hit the road town by town, lake by lake in Minnesoa, inviting into his boat outdoor writers, tackle distributors, batshop owners-anybody who'd spead the word about the fishing magic of the Lindy Rig."(Northwoods Legacy).

This method worked especially well for the two, as the Lindy Rig soon became a very commonly used fishing persentation by anglers across the nation, and was utilized most often by walleye fisherman. Today, the Lindy Rig is still a powerhouse, as it is used by fisherman a lot and is one of the most well known ways to target walleyes. Al and Ron's invention has been so successful across the nation that it's sales have exceeded thirty-five million dollars.

The Lindy Rig is not the only success of Lindy Tackle though. Lindy Tackle, soon after it's creation, partnered with Little Joe Manufacturing, to become Lindy-Little Joe. This enabled the companies to expand a lot, and allowed them to combine their ideas. Nick Adams, of Little Joe, was for the most part the businessman, Ron the creator, and Al was the one that would go out and demonstrate the products to people. The official merge of the two companies was in 1979. Soon after the merge, the company had some big names supporting it, "We had a great fishing promotion team, including Gary Roach, Randy Amenrud and Rod Romine," Adams recalls. "They came up with worm blowers, the Fuzz-E-Grub jig and many other products."(Northwoods Legacy). Today, Lindy-Little Joe is still creating tackle and the influence of Al is still seen across the tackle industry nationwide.

Anglers of the past weren't as educated as modern day fisherman. They would often just drown worms and minnows with no success. Back then people assumed fishing was just luck, and because of their tactics often it was just that. Al has played a very significant role in the education of today's anglers. Over the last thirty years the way that people approach the sport of fishing has changed drastically. Al, along with his brother started the company that we today know of as In Fisherman. In 1979, the first In Fisherman Magazine was published, it did not take long for this company to grow either. Later on in the same year, In Fisherman television and radio aired. A mere two years after that, the first of many In Fisherman books was published. Many people took interest in it because it taught a different approach to fishing. It showed the science that can be applied to figure out the patterns and migrations of different species of fish. Al personally believes that through In Fisherman, he and his partners have been the pioneers of modern day fishing. He says that people thirty years ago believed that fishing was luck, and he has raised awareness that there is a science behind it and that one can learn the patterns of fish.(personal interview). In 1987, educational videos were being made by In Fisherman, this also played a very important role in the tactics of anglers. This company that Al had a very significant role in creating has completely altered the way many people fish and has improved the education of anglers.

Al has had an influence on many different people throughout his career, and across the nation there are direct results of what he has taught people. When asked if he has seen a direct result of his influence on any professional fisherman, one that he says sticks out to him is Mike Iaconelli. "When I was at a tournament that my son was fishing in, Mike told me that he grew up watching me."(personal interview). This specifically shows how he has influenced anglers because Mike one of the most well known anglers on the BASSMASTER circuit. Also, apart from being a professional fisherman, Mike also has his own television show that is called City Limits Fishing, this shows that Alhas influenced some of the world's best anglers. Another way that Al has had an infuence on today's fisherman is the general knowledge of how people can effect fish populations in a body of water. Not long ago, people would go out and keep their limit of fish without hesitation, not thinking that they could be negatively effecting the population. Today there are two very common methods that fisherman use to manage fish populations. One is catch and release, and the other is selective harvest. Although both benefit the lake, Al has been a supporter of selective harvest, because he believes it is ok to keep some fish, typically smaller fish.(Personal Interview). He has pubicly been a supporter of selective harvest through In Fisherman, and through the last thirty years lake management has become very popular, because of Al and many other people that have supported it. Between In Fisherman, the Lindy Rig, and Lindner's Angling Edge, Al has seen himself inluence people the most through his current show Lindner's Angling Edge. In this show he also incorporates his Christian faith, and gives seminars at churches around the nation. Al believes that he has had the most influence through this because he sees the change he creates in peoples spiritual lives through the connection of God, and yes, fishing.(personal interview). Throughout his career, Al has influenced people by teaching them how to become better anglers, how to manage lakes, and he has spirtitually impacted the lives of many.

Fishing has been forever changed for the better by Al and his brother Ron. Many people look at Al as one of the top anglers in the world, "Lindner might be the world's best freshwater fisherman, and certainly its most visible."(Star Tribune), and because of this he has been able to continually influence todays anglers. It is obvious that his actions have impacted many people and their success while "trying to catch the big one", as he is in three, yes three different fishing hall of fames.(versus biography). He has changed fishing from what it was thirty years ago, which was going out with bait, line, a pole, and a lot of patience. To what it currently is, which includes people trying to figure out fish patterns, using different presentations, and all sorts of things that improve peoples success. Throughout his career, Al Lindner has played a very influential role in the development of freshwater fishing. He has had an impact on today's anglers in many ways, from being one of the key people in the creation of the Lindy Rig, and a co-founder of In Fisherman. To his current show that is called "Lindner's Angling Edge". It is evident that through his actions he has forever changed the way people fish across America.

dont be afraid to point out spelling errors, i see two lol...in the morning i will fix that stuff as im getting up really early to fix the small stuff..

to those that read it thanks a lot

off to bed,

ryan burnham

thank you, thank God for spellcheck..as soon as i put it on microsoft word(i had to type it as an email draft) many more spelling errors popped up..later on i will post the absolute final draft

I just read it quickly and it is pretty well written. I didn't analyze grammar or spelling but it looks like a solid paper.

One trick to writing papers that you did well on was to pick a topic the teacher hasn't read about a million times already. Sometimes if its a new topic to them they'll read it and be more interested in the topic so that they miss a few mistakes when reading it. If its a topic they have read about over and over again they'll likely pay more attention to the little mistakes becuase they are bored with the subject.

yea i ended up talking to him for a good 20 minutes over the phone and intervied him some during that time...great guy, our schedules just didnt correspond for a longer interview any other time...it was still pretty cool, and i have Al's number in my phone, its alphabetical so its always the first name i see cool, yes im that cool

Nice write up. I bet it was a thrill to talk to him and would have been a real treat to meet him in person and do the interview.

I agree to mail it to him personally and to also use some nice paper instead of the plain old white printer paper to make it look nicer. Let us know if you get a reply after he reads it.

..it was still pretty cool, and i have Al's number in my phone, its alphabetical so its always the first name i see cool, yes im that cool

LOL. That's great. Glad it all worked out. The Lindner's just rock. cool

The Lindner's owe a great deal to the wisdom and teaching of one Bill Binkelman, the founder of FISHING NEWS AND SECRETS which became FISHING FACTS magazine. I believe that Bill Binkelman and the Lindners shared much information on fish movements "structure" and techniques. There is a whole chapter there. They "co-published" a little book that was given away free when Ray-o-vac purchased Lindy Little Joe. In addition, there were seminars in the Chicago area by Bill Binkelman in which the Lindners participated. I have a copy of that treasured "little book" myself.

good read Ryan......cool thing to do and expierence for a school paper!!! Interviewing Al Linder and having him take time to speak to you personally is a pretty neat thing..........Hopefully your teacher agrees and gives you a good grade!!!