• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

bass vs walleye

Burnham

Threads like this need to be put to rest....It's hard to argue a fish being better than a Walleye as a sportfish (even if it is) in the state of Minnesota. Maybe if the thread was more specific (i.e. Which do you prefer on your dinner plate, best fighting fish etc.) we would have some quality debate. But this just turns into a never-ending p!ssing contest in my opinion.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love to fish for both but if I had to choose to fish for only one it would be bass. As soon as I catch 3 lb plus walleye that jumps completely out of the water I will vote for walleye.

Not sure I buy the argument that one is easier to catch than the other. I have caught lots of each some days and been skunked by both on others.

Skilled anglers of both species are a joy to watch.

A truly skilled walleye angler can do amazing things with boat control. Precision boat control while watching a depthfinder/GPS, and paying attention to the line in the water...way harder to do than it looks.

Ever watch a pro bass fisherman with a baitcaster? It is incredible what they can do with it. Watch one pitch a bait where it seems to float and gently land on the water exactly where they want it.

I think the fact that walleyes are tasty makes them seem harder to catch because so many more are harvested every year. I would guess that 80 - 90 percent of the walleyes of harvestable size are kept while it is just the opposite for bass.

Luckily for me, my cabin is on a lake with plenty of both as well as good size panfish so I do not have to choose.

Walleyes. I used to fish bass all the time when I was 10-16 years old. But since then I enjoy a challenge, so I fish walleyes way more often. Apparently the guys on here who say walleyes don't fight very hard have never caught one while casting.
Words out of my mouth brother! That, or they never caught a ten plus walleye! If its a fight you want, then go to the river and toss a night crawler off the bottom!