• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

differences between jigs ?

apegs

I was wondering what the differences and use are for certain jigs. I have swim jigs and the ones with the flat bottoms that you kind of crawl back but I don't understand the more rounded jigs. For example a football head jig and maybe a round booyah bed bug jig. Are these supposed to be used different? Whats the advantage or disadvantage with these?

The football head is wider and is designed to not only stay on the bootom, but out of the rocks, not used in weeds. The slimmer the head, you can assume its meant for weeds.

As cecil says, head shape is critical.. some have rounder heads and are designed to stay out of rocks, some have pointier head and are designed to fall through weeds better, some have stand up heads which are to look like a craw in defensive mode. Some swim better, some fall better, some are designed to go over wood better(horizontle eye).

In my opinion, no jig does it all great.. you need a few of each. I do however think there are too many colors out there. A couple dark water colors and a couple clear water colors are fine.. and then 3 different jig heads.. a swim , a weed and a rock.

Thats the beauty of being a bass guy, you get to buy all these jigs, plastics, cranks, hooks, weights and sift through all the options until you find your confidence baits and set ups. Some guys swear by one brand of jig, while the next guy wouldn't walk across the street for a free one. Jigs are just one piece of the puzzle. I just started throwing swimjigs seriously last year, I now have a Plano full of them and settled on to one brand I think is absolutely the best. Trailers for the jigs will bring up a whole new topic. Again trial and error til you find the perfect set up, then you figure soemthing else out for a different condition. Good luck figuring out whats best for you. Lots of people have a ton of different opinions on all these baits, do your homework and start the process.

I get the most use out of swim jigs. Swimming threw grass, pads, timber, wherever, I have yet to snag one. Hopping, dragging, I have spent a lot of time working them and have the most confidence of all in them, and feel they are the most versitile

I also use "standup" or flipping jigs alot.

I have a hard time with the football heads. Dragging deep sand and gravel is just hard for me to get a good feel for. But it produces HUGE fish.

Then there are the Bitzy Bugs....

Deitz is right about color, you need some assortment, but not a lot. Black mixed with another color like blue, red, or purple. White, Green pumpkin, and some sort of Brown w/Orange. I am sure others will disagree with my choices, and have thier own, but that is what is in my box. (dozens of them blush )

Dear God, then there are all the options for trailers.... They can change everything....