• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I have a Ruger 10/22 and have been trying to sight it in I have it sighted in pretty good at 50 yards but the problem is when I am any closer I shoot over the top and when I am any farther away I shoot too low so I was thinking about getting a new scope what is a good cheap scope for this gun also how far should I be able to shoot accurately with a gun like this.

It doesn't sound like a scope will help your "high-low" problem...most 22 rimfire loads only achieve a velocity of around 1300 fps...if you zero it at fifty yards it is only normal that it could be a little high at closer distances and as the bullet loses speed and drops at longer distances it will always be lower...you'll probably find the same is true with a new scope on the rifle...Now I'm "guessing" that your shots are maybe a half to one inch "high-low" depending on the distances...if you're talking alot more than that, say out to 70 yards...then yes, a new scope could help...As far as "accurate distance" of a 22 rimfire...for the average shooter it's probably around 60 yards with the short barreled 10/22 ruger. I have however hit jackrabbits as far as 100 yards but it took about 5 shots to figure out the elevation and windage at that distance when I was sighted for 30 yards...As for a scope you can get by with just about anything that gives you the proper eye relief on a rimfire...I have a stainless 3 to 9 tasco (about $50) on top of mine and it works great.

Mine is sighted in at 50 yards at 100 yards I hold half way from where the cross hairs go from small to big and at 150 yards hold the cross hairs right at the small to big seperation I guess my 2 cents is get out and learn your gun.