• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

new Tikka / new scope question

adam246

Just bought a new Tikka T3 Lite (stainless barrel/synthetic stock)in a .270 Win - I'm getting a scope on it and had a question. I'm definatly going w/ a Bushnell 3200 Elite w/ FireFly reticle in a 3 x 9 - BUT...what's the opinion on the different objective sizes available? I can go w/ 3x9x40mm or the 3x9x50mm. I'm leaning towards the 50mm but A)does it make that much diff. in brightness B)will it fit the rings that came w/ the gun or will I need to buy new ones to get the scope high enough to clear the barrel and C)is it gonna really throw the weight/balance out of whack & be so clumsy as to be not much fun....?!?! BTW - I can order a 3x9x50mm online for $220 - the 3x9x40mm around here is about $230...
Mostly deer hunting but want to get into varmint/predator hunting as well in the future...

I too just bought a t3 light stainless, in 30-06 though.
I am waiting for my Burris compact to arrive on Monday. I found a good deal online.

I believe the manufacturer specs say that you should be OK for a 50 mm objective, but it might depend on how close the end is to the receiver.

I went with a compact just because I didn't want to throw off the balance. I think the beretta HSOforum lists what max diameter scope you can have with the standard Tikka rings.

Nels

Unless you swat rats, stay with a 40 objective. If you don't you'regoing to need much higher rings, and that's not good. Plus. (shallow warning ahead) it looks kinda bad. Elite 3200 has great light transmission, and a fine field of view. Pay less, and K.I.S.S.

40mm, 50mm why not compromise.

I did a ton of research and a lot of comparison before purchasing a scope for my Browning Stainless Stalker 7mm that replaced my Browning White Gold 7mm. I decided before purchasing that I was going to not skimp and was looking to spend the money to get a quality scope. I looked at Leupold, Nikon, Weaver Grand Slam, Burris, Bushnell Elite but after all was said and done the scope that was the clear cut winner was the Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10 44mm. A little more $$ but by far the best optics I have seen in that price range.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

SUNNYD

Absolutley do NOT go with a 5O. I bought a Tikka Hunter in the fall 300WSM and was looking for the right scope to put on. I spoke with a gentleman at Gander about this. You think bigger is better but not in this case. I can't remember exactly what he said but basically your eye can only use 40 and thats its limit a 50 is overkill. He asked Leupold then why do they make a 50 and their answer was because people buy it. By the way the Tikka is a sweet gun and I went with a 3x9x40 Nikon Monarch. Watch out elk!

[This message has been edited by bklimek (edited 04-15-2004).]

just put the 3x9x50mm back in the mail today - exchanging for the Elite 3200 3x9x40 - thanks to all for the input -
this site is awesome. PS -I found a great place to purchase optics from on the web - WELL below any retail cost I've seen in a store or even anywhere else online. Don't think I'm allowed to post it here tho - but ask if you're interested....