• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question on posted land

PerchJerker

My parents just bought a cabin near Grantsburg Wisconsin. I am really looking forward to doing some archery deer hunting in that area. Anyway I have been up looking for sheds and other sign looking for good areas now. I bought a Platt Book for Burnett Co. and always bring my GPS with me. Anyway about 1/2 mile off the road I found an area that was POSTED no hunting or tresspassing...According to my GPS I shoudn't have been within 1/4 mile of the posted land and not only that but this land was running North/South and the Land in the Platt book runs mostly East/West. Is there any way of knowing for sure if someone is posting public land for thier own use.. Should I just stay clear of this area. None of the signs have a name on them to contact...

Thanks for the replies

I would check to see if the county has an area NRCS/FSA or Soil and Water Conservation District office. They may have maps digitized (GIS) on their computers that will have property boundaries. This will verify information in the plat book. They should even then be able to identify the owners (if it is privately owned) of the land.

Just remember one thing, Platt books are often times wrong. Even the new ones sometimes do not reflect land changing hands etc. Its best to do as others have suggested. On the other hand, there are people there that will unlawfully post land. I would check it out!

I would still run it by the DNR or at least your sherriff. You will be surprised what some people will do on public land and to keep people out a simple "no Trespassing" sign worked on U. What happens if come huntin season and U want to go on that land and U find new signs. Better know now and if is public land I am sure a sherriff would be interested. I know I would.

I have hunted that area for many years. There are a lot of bow hunters that come around. Best to be sure you are on public land. Some people do not take kindly to it.

also... In WI it is the responsibility of the person doing the walking to know where they are at all times. There is not a regulation that you HAVE to post your land.