• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
mooneyes

250 gallon oil drum hog roaster

does anybody have tips or plans for building my first hog roaster? I would love to see what ya come up with for ideas too.

I had a plan to build one also but never got around to it. I myself have lost interes but now I am stuck with the drum.

My dad made this cooker and it works pretty ding danged good.

3514443212_10130bb606.jpg

Charcoal fired with gas backup.

We have cooked several pigs in it from 160lbs to 220lbs.

The big pig a cookin

1858459407_cf9fc3bd08.jpg

5 little piggies

1858460855_d51c8c2562.jpg

The Carrousel for the cooker.

2644693298_4aa6d63cf6.jpg

Hey Merkman thanks for the pictures, thats a beauty. I really like the carrousel idea. What size motor do you use? Do you know if he had to do any gear reduction?

Hey Merkman thanks for the pictures, thats a beauty. I really like the carrousel idea. What size motor do you use? Do you know if he had to do any gear reduction?

The carrousel is great.

We use it to smoke fish also.

But it also works great to throw the whole meal in there.

Baked potatoes, corn on the cob, a couple of chickens, some beef and or pork.

Dadieo corrected me.

HI.

THE MOTOR IS A DAYTON SHADED POLE GEARMOTOR

FULL LOAD RPM'S: 2

FULL LOAD TORQUE: 113 IN LBS

HP: 1/20

VOLTS: 115

GEARING IS IN THE MOTOR. THERE ARE OTHER MOTORS OUT THERE ,BELTS ARE A PAIN.

MOST PEOPLE IN THE KNOW SAID 2 RPMS IS THE BEST.

MAKE SURE TO CUT A HOLE BIG ENOUGH FOR DRAINING DURING PRESSURE WASHING.

DAD

It is coupled with a lovejoy coupler.

birchwood_lovejoy.jpg

It has an offset Torison Axel and rides down the road real nice.

It needs fenders to be legal though. :-)

We took the window out of an old gas BBQ after the first time using it, since everyone "had to" look to see how the pig was comming along, and I got tired of telling them I couldn't lift the lid. lol

A pig craddle would be a great addition or replacement for the spit too.

Then you would not need to wrap the pig.

And prep time (puting the pig on the spit) would be greatly reduced.

ezque_cradle_shaft.jpg

Thanks Merkman and tell your father thanks as well. You can find info on every topic online, except hog cookers. Ill be building mine this summer. I'll have to post some pictures when it is finished and cooking.

Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• I think 2 out of 3 actually gets them in for sure.  Washington, Eagles, and Carolina are the next 3 teams and they are all in worse shape then we are.  Washington is on their 4th QB, Eagles looks to be without Wentz against the Rams this week, and Carolina has lost the last 5 in a row and has to face the Saints 2 out of the next 3 weeks.    No matter what there is going to be a lousy team in the 6th seed.       
    • Well even if the Vikings happen to sneak thru the back door into the playoffs, there are 20 other teams that would be happy to be in that spot.     And who knows, anything can happen when you get into the tournament. AND NO I'm not drinking purple Kool aid.  Yet!!
    • The Vikes are a dumpster fire right now for sure!    Glad they ditched Flippo, that was a failed experiment. Really hoping they get rid of Priefer soon, too, as our special teams have been far from special for the last few years.    They don't deserve to make the playoffs at this point, but if they win out, they will make it.  Will this move propel them to make a run if they do make it?  Anything is possible, but we all know what happens to the Vikes in big-time games. So, I'm not gonna hold my breath!     
    • A way to kill the prion. As far as I know, it survives indefinitely. If we can kill it, we actually have a chance of wiping it off the face of the earth.  Until then, it's a winless battle, IMO.    As far as your last comment, not sure why that was brought up if you weren't directing it at me, or at least think I fit this generalization... Not sure where in any post that I have ever made, you'd get the slightest idea that I was the type of person you describe. While I am for limited govt, and reeling in some rules and regulations, I am overall an adamant supporter of most of our fish and game laws. When it comes to what is currently taking place to "control" CWD, I don't think it's working, and I think other avenues need to be explored in more detail. I've stated that I'm pretty fluid on my opinion on CWD, so part of me sees what is taking place as maybe being necessary, but, seeing the end results thus far, it appears to not be working.     
    • Only 10 years? Seems like much more.......😉😁😄
    • Sounds pretty friggin awesome to me. Still, for the couple hundred that it costs spraying is definitely worth it
    • I would bet the first time you seen it the OH Ship factor came to mind.
    • Thanks all for the feedback. The very first time I visited Upper Red - it was with Johnny P and he was awesome.  However he was not out on his own like he is now.  I've followed him over the years and am impressed with his  new setup.....probably time to give him another shot with his new outfit. After the folks that Johnny was with sold their houses to Beacon Harbor...I just followed the houses and have been using them.  Super nice people.  Always willing to offer some tips as well as move the house whenever I ask. The reason I think Upper Red and Beacon Harbor appeals to me is that when I fly in (from Utah), I can rent my car - pick up groceries - and drive out to the house.  I only have to pay for the house rental.  Other places I've looked at on LOTW pretty much have you coming in each night...so you pay for a day house and you pay for lodging at night. Going with others - where they take you out to your hut - I guess I just need to figure out how to pack things better so I don't feel like I am an inconvenience.     When I do come up - its usually by myself.  I enjoy the solitude.  4-5 days in a house in almost total silence.  Bliss.  However there have been times when I have brought a friend or last year I brought my son for his first trip.  He will be coming again with me this year. I guess another part would be expenses.  Depending on the flights available...I'm spending $600-$900 just on travel to get there.  So that takes a bit of my budget and forces me to look for the most cost effective options.  Double that if I bring my son. Maybe I'll skip next year and be back in 2020....I'll save my allowance and have a bit more to put towards Johnny or even a different lake.   Thanks Rundrave, I'll try the bigger options to draw them in.  I guess I am not use to using the larger baits just because of the way I am use to ice fishing.  I have the tackle....just need to be confident enough to give them a try!   I do have electronics...if I see fish I can usually catch them.  I agree - Its most likely location and no fish rather than not being able to catch the fish that are there.   Because I fly in and have to fit everything in my bag - I usually don't pack my outdoor gear (parka, bibs, boots, etc.).  But a few years ago I packed an extra bag with all that and then spent a day out of the house and hired a guide to take me out.  It was Brian "Bro".  And it was awesome.   I guess maybe I just need to change my frame of mind.  Plan better with being able to bring my gear, get more mobile, explore other options.   I loved my experience with Johnny.  I'll look up Cookie as well.   Thanks again for all the feedback - truly appreciated. If any of you will be on the lake the 27-31....feel free to stop by and say hello!