• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

cut bait regulations clarification plz!

mainbutter

So the fishing regulations state that no whole or parts of goldfish, carp, or game fish are legal to use for bait.

My problem is I cannot find a definition for "game fish".. Anyone want to help me out here?

What I have figured out so far -

There IS a definition for rough fish:

Quote:
Carp, buffalo, sucker, sheepshead, bowfin, burbot, cisco, gar, goldeye, and bullhead.

Does that mean that all other species are game fish? There also is a DIFFERENT definition for "under-utilized fish":

Quote:
Under-utilized fish– Carp, buffalo, sucker, sheepshead, bowfin, burbot, cisco, gar, goldeye, and redhorse.

So bullhead is a rough fish, but not under-utilized(has a limit), and redhorse is under-utilized but not a rough fish.

Does this make redhorse a game fish, and not legal to use for cut bait?

If there is a definition for game fish which is not simply "not a rough fish" please fill me in.

Just as a point of clarification: Bullheads over 7 inches and a suckers over 12 inches are rough fish. As rough fish it is illegal to transport them alive.

Bullheads under 7 inches and suckers under 12 inches are minnows. It is legal to transport minnows alive as long as they have not been harvested from infested waters.

One loop hole I found is technically you can transport live fish, just not in a manor the DNR says is against the law:

From page 10 of the DNR regs:

Transporting Fish

Except while on the body of water where taken, live fish may not be

transported in a quantity of water sufficient to keep them alive unless the

fish are bait minnows or the person is authorized to do so by the DNR.

I assume this pertains to people who have live fish at the launch and drain their live well. They will still be alive but you will be legal when bringing them home.

One thing to think about when transporting large rough fish for cutting up and freezing when getting home wink

Where do channel cats fall in with the regulations? Are channel cats legal to use for cut bait(not that I want to)? Most Minnesotans from what I understand wouldn't call cats "game fish".

I'm just confused since there isn't a good definition of "game fish" as far as MN regs are concerned.

I'm just confused since there isn't a good definition of "game fish" as far as MN regs are concerned.

Your rough fish list did not include all the species: Page 59, 2009 Minnesota Fishing Regulations - Rough fish are defined as carp, buffalo, sucker, redhorse, sheepshead, bowfin, burbot (eelpout), cisco (tullibee), gar, mooneye, and bullhead.

The regulations are pretty confusing but in this instance it seems pretty simple to me. There are two categories of fish - "game fish" and "rough fish". Don't confuse the under-utilized with anything. If you look at the under-utilized list it is the rough fish list anyway.

Don't go looking for a list of game fish - To keep it simple, if it is not a rough fish it is a game fish. So as long as you are using a rough fish for cut bait you are legal except for carp or goldfish. As the regulation states: Page 9, 2009 Minnesota Fishing Regulations - Using whole or parts of game fish, goldfish, or carp for bait is unlawful.

Those things can reanimate like worms. Every piece of cutbait = 1 new carp.

Sorry......I have wondered this too, but my guess is that normally you are transporting a live fish to use as cutbait. Then there is always the chance a live carp could end up in the water.

Originally Posted By: mainbutter

Your rough fish list did not include all the species: Page 59, 2009 Minnesota Fishing Regulations - Rough fish are defined as carp, buffalo, sucker, redhorse, sheepshead, bowfin, burbot (eelpout), cisco (tullibee), gar, mooneye, and bullhead.

The regulations are pretty confusing but in this instance it seems pretty simple to me. There are two categories of fish - "game fish" and "rough fish". Don't confuse the under-utilized with anything. If you look at the under-utilized list it is the rough fish list anyway.

Don't go looking for a list of game fish - To keep it simple, if it is not a rough fish it is a game fish. So as long as you are using a rough fish for cut bait you are legal except for carp or goldfish. As the regulation states: Page 9, 2009 Minnesota Fishing Regulations - Using whole or parts of game fish, goldfish, or carp for bait is unlawful.

Thanks for the clarification.

When listing rough fish, I was quoting the "rough fish" definition on p.3 of the 2009 regs, which is DIFFERENT than what they say on p.59, which I missed.