• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

When Will the Pads Arrive ?

ShoreGuy1984

During what period of spring do the pads start to grow and thickening up? I never paid much attention to the growth of the lily pads last year, or the years before. I would like to know because I can not wait to throw a hollow frog into a big patch of lily pads! Isn't it usually in mid June?

I think it depends on water temperatures but yeah I would guess in the next 2-3 weeks they will be thickening up quite a bit. They are already popping up in some spots I've been fishing although not many. I can't wait to run poppers outside and in breaks of lillies and wait for the explosion!!

Not many pads are up at this latitude, but fish are holding up in the ones that haven't broke the surface yet anyways. A jointed floating rap worked like a jerkbait over the top of them was pretty successful last weekend despite the not-a-cloud-in-the-sky weather conditions.

They are sure starting to come up now! Was tossin a black Bronzeye Jr today in some pads. The pads I was fishing were great for sight fishing. I was on shore, and up on a high bank and the water was super clear. When I first approched, I spooked a decent sized bass, which was under some weeds/pads that were about three feet from shore. I sure wish I would have approched more carefully. I think it was about my forth cast, when a pike came up and checked out my black bronzeye. I paused when I seen the pike, then jerked the frog a little bit. The pike came a little closer, then I jerked it again, then the pike lost intrest and swam away. I came out empty handed at this spot, but will come back for sure.