• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

baked beans

Anyone have a good baked beans recipe? I've got a crowd of 25 for this weekend up on the big V. Doing up 3 9# pork butts on the weber smokey mountain cooker along with some slaw and tater salad. I've got a couple of bean recipes, but looking for something new.

My mother inlaw calls these cowboy beans. Not sure if they go by another name but they are delicious. Practically a meal by themself, they go great with fish fry or anything on the bbq.

Start with Bushes Baked Beans (your choice of flavor)

Add:

Browned ground beef

Chopped cooked bacon

Cooked assorted beans (the ones that come dry in a bag with multiple sizes and colors)

Also make enough extra sauce to accomodate the additional meat and beans using the following (experiment to suit your taste)

brown sugar

vinegar

Ketchup

Mix all ingredients together, let cool and sit in the fridge for a day or so and then reheat and serve.

Steve

This came from a smoker HSOforum. I have made it several times and it is very good and should feed 25.

6-8 strips of bacon cut into 1/2 inch squares

1/2 med onion diced

1/2 bell pepper diced

1-2 jaapeno peppers diced ( seeding is optional)

1- 55 oz. can of bushes baked beens

1- 8 oz. can of pinapple chunks drained

1 cup of brown sugar, packed

1 cup ketchup

1 Tbs ground mustard

saute bacon until crispy remove, saute onion, bell pepper, and jalapeno in bacon bacon grease until tender.

in a large mixing bowl combine beans, pinapple, brown sugar, ketchup and dry mustard. Stir in bacon and vegitables. Pour into disposable 9x12 or a deep 9x9. If it looks to dry add ketchup.

Place in a 220 - 225 deg smoker for 2 1/2 - 3 hours or place in 350 deg oven for hour, beans should reach 160 deg.

My mother inlaw calls these cowboy beans. Not sure if they go by another name but they are delicious. Practically a meal by themself, they go great with fish fry or anything on the bbq.

Start with Bushes Baked Beans (your choice of flavor)

Add:

Browned ground beef

Chopped cooked bacon

Cooked assorted beans (the ones that come dry in a bag with multiple sizes and colors)

Also make enough extra sauce to accomodate the additional meat and beans using the following (experiment to suit your taste)

brown sugar

vinegar

Ketchup

Mix all ingredients together, let cool and sit in the fridge for a day or so and then reheat and serve.

Steve

We call them Calico Beans...and super yum!