• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hauling bikes in a boat?

wdgold

I know this is probably an odd ?, but does anyone haul there bikes in there boat when they go camping, and have you figured out a way to mount them in so they don't have to lean on one another. I have got some ideas on how to make a fork mount that will lay on the floor but I am looking to see if anyone has figured out a good method. Maybe the best way is to just lay them in there any old way you can.

It's amazing how much room a couple of bikes can take up. I hauled my wifes bike last year on a trip and it was easy with just the one, but two or more would require some sort of mount unless you don't care for the bikes, or your boat.

Fork mounts on a 2x4 might work, but how do you fasten the 2x4? Maybe you could notch a long 2x4 to fit over your gunnels and then tie it to the trailer?

Reese makes a bike rack carrier that installs in your hitch. It has an extension to attach a ball to hook up your boat. I have a 3/4 bike carrier.

I went with a carrier like this. The bikes bounced around in the boat.

if you go to a bike shop and buy the kit of hardware to attach a bike via the fork, you can then mount it to anything. I did this in my snowmobile trailer. shouldnt cost more than 30, I had to attach the hardware to a 2x4 then attached that to the trailer, I used some carrage bolts with wingnuts, that way it removable. this summer ill be using the same set up in my boat. I will be drilling 2 samll hole through the deck/carpet though. good luck

I was wondering this same thing?? We just got a pick-up box style camper but it takes up all of our hauling room. I was thinking about trying to weld together some sort of rack that I could mount across the front of my boat trailer. I hauled my bikes in the boat last year and I WON'T do that again. one of them rubbed on the inside of the boat and luckly I was able to clean off the smudge mark it left but They moved around alot. Maybe some one out there has an idea of a rack that could be mounted to a boat trailer they would like to share???

P.S. to the poster who said if you got a boat who needs the bikes.... Right on grin just don't tell the warden I said that.

Here is what I did:

Get a mount at a bike shop for about $25.00 and attach it to a 2x4. I wrap a towel around it to protect the boat carpet. I also have two bungies attached to the handle bar stem (not shown) which pulls the bike forward and stabilizes it left to right.

270752650_o.jpg

Use a couple of bungies to keep the rear wheel in place:

270752663_o.jpg

I will take a better picture tomorrow and post it.

Also a good idea to put a towel under the bike in case it rains and drips grease.

WOW, thanks for the pics Wish-I-were-Fishn. Looks like a good deal.I would guess that with that kind of set up you couldn't use your cover during transport????? I guess It really dosn't matter unless your going a long way.. Great idea. wink

WOW, thanks for the pics Wish-I-were-Fishn. Looks like a good deal.I would guess that with that kind of set up you couldn't use your cover during transport????? I guess It really dosn't matter unless your going a long way.. Great idea. wink

Correct, no cover; unless you have a larger boat that can swallow the bike height more.

Found it on the HSOforum. Here you go:

Model #: A30404TW200

· This convenient hitch-mounted four-bike carrier keep bikes safe and secure when traveling.

· Padded cradles prevent marring and help prevent bike to bike contect.

· Include a hitch-ball mount so you can tow up to 2,000 lb. (200 lb. tongue weight) while hauling your bikes (ball not included).

· Mounts to any 2" receiver hitch.

294164904_o.jpg

Might be a little tough to explain, but here is what I did:

I cut a 24" piece of 2x4 and drilled a couple shallow holes for each side of the fork to fit into with the tires off, one for each side of the boat (2 bikes). I then put these 2x4's flat on the deck up against the transom on the inside of the boat. Obviously the bikes would just sit there (resting in the 2x4) on their own with the boat not moving (facing the rear). Next I cut a 2x4 to the length between the two seat posts, and then cut a groove that the sides of the seat post would fit into so they would stay in place. I then put rachet strap around the seat post of each bikes keeping them forced to the long 2x4 between them. This keeps them from tipping/moving anywhere. Last, I just ran a strap from the rear gunwale cleat on one side of the boat, over the top of the frames of the bikes, to the cleat on the other side of the boat and tightened it down. This worked great on the rear deck of my 1850 Sportfish and did not cost any money!