• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Organic weed control

fishinchicks

I know the best methods of organic weed control are all mechanical, but is there an organic spray that can get rid of stinging nettle? It is spreading pretty rapidly in our farm yard, but I cannot use any of the traditional chemical methods to control it.

There is a product called Weed Pharm, it comes in a ready to use bottle. Safer Products I believe still makes a similar product that comes in a concentrate. Both of the products are non-selective herbicides so whatever they touch they will kill.

Do you know where the concentrated acetic acid is available? We used some a few years back with mixed results. Killed the grasses, but not the broadleaves - just stunted those.

We use flaming on a large scale, but not around the yard. I will look into what is available around here.

Do you know where the concentrated acetic acid is available?

JR Johnson Supply in Minneapolis is where I get it. Buckwheat Growers Association or Albert Lea Seedhouse might have it also.

I've gotten rid of it around some of my plots with periodic mowing if that is an option.

The areas with most of the stinging nettle are on the edges of our groves, where mowing is next to impossible.

We do quite a bit of business with Albert Lea Seedhouse, so I will check with them to see if they have the acetic acid.