• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Small fine for selfish pig hunters

IFallsRon

Two Stearns County men Friday were each fined $300 for distracting ducks from landing on a rural lake where two young girls were participating in Youth Waterfowl Day.

The one-day hunt sponsored by the Department of Natural Resources has been touted as a way to get young hunters involved in waterfowling. In 2002, it took place one week before the regular opener.

Ronald Hoppe, 61, and his brother Herbert, 69, said Youth Waterfowl Day left them with fewer ducks to hunt when the regular season opened. Aside from the $300 fine, their actions cost them a misdemeanor conviction for hunter harassment.

The Hoppes were cited Sept. 14, 2002, along with two others. The four were accused of paddling around Getchel Lake, southwest of Albany, and distracting birds from landing on the lake. Two 12-year-old girls were hiding in duck blinds waiting for their chance at the birds. An adult relative of one of the girls was supervising the girls and videotaped the incident.

The girls told a DNR conservation officer that they felt threatened by what the Hoppes were doing. The Hoppes told the officer they were opposed to Youth Waterfowl Day because it diminished the bird population available to other hunters.

The case went to trial in September 2003, and a jury found the Hoppes guilty. The jury found the two other men not guilty.

Stearns County District Court Judge Elizabeth Hayden on Friday sentenced the Hoppes each to pay a $300 fine. She also sentenced them to 90 days in jail but stayed the sentence for a year on the condition they pay the fine.

I agree with you FoolnFish!

Just because you don't like it doesn't give you right to take matters into your own hands.

The decrease in duck numbers doesn't have a lot to do with the youth season. But more to do with a loss of habitat and the flyway shifting to the west.

[This message has been edited by Borch (edited 01-05-2004).]

It is to bad that someone like the Hoppe brothers have to mess with 2 young people who by the looks of it are hunting for the first time and had to have the experiance screwed up by a couple of selfish guys who don't have anything better to do. I think it is good that these 2 young ladies at least have the chance and a relative that will take them out and show them a thing or two about hunting and the out of doors. Shame on the Hoppe's and good for the next generation of hunters. Scheuney

I just read about this in Outdoor News and it seems to me you get both sides of the story there. I don't know these people and am against hunter harrasement but it may be possible that these guys weren't in the wrong as much as they are made out to be. From the article I read it is hard to tell. Best not to jump to conclusions without knowing the whole story. Somehow I think the real story is somewhere in between.

These guys sound like jerks. That Outdoor News article doesn't paint the picture that they were innocent by-standers at all.
Those dummies could have used common courtesy while scouting. What a bunch of lame a$$ comments from the guys.
They claim they were scouting. Well, if it was regular duck season, and someone else was out there "scouting" for the coming weekends, they sure would have been [PoorWordUsage]ed.

Bottom line, the articles we have about this are limited in details, but I have formulated an opinion.
They are jerks, think only of themselves, and need to learn some common sense and ethics.

I don’t know the whole story but I agree with the majority of this thread…
They should have lost there privileges for at least a few years…
People with money could care less about fines or at the very least they have
just dealt with it by taking away there privileges means a ton!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
Hook Em Good!!!!!!!

S.D. Ice Angular;
NRA, DU, NWTF,
Varmint Hunter
& NAHC Life Member