• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

pontoon questions

broken_line

i have a 20 foot leasure island pontoon and the right toon has a leak in it somewhere, how can this be fixed?, the trailer that was with the boat seems not right. the tralier is 3" lesss wide then the insde of the toons on each side, is this right?? how much does a bunk trailer run??

What year is it? I have Leisure Island from back in the 70's and it has a drain plug in each toon. If yours is like that, I would check to make sure that is not the leak. Just geta new plug and using some plumbers caulk/tape and tighten it done good, but not too much.

I just dealt with this myself. I spent about 10$ and bought the fittings with a low pressure gauge. Put air in the toons and see if it holds. Once the air is in there spray soapy water and it will bubble where the leak is. Just make sure you dont put anymore than 5 psi in them. Anymore air than that could blow out a seem. I would be willing to bet that you have a leak where the toons are attached to the base. Mine had a very small leak and a little jb weld fix it! Good luck

i think its an 86ish 28hp jhonson here is a pic of the back http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp27/icehouse_03/a2493735-150-04102720.jpg ... it does have an drain plug in it and there are 3 different water puddles on the shop floor i pulled the plug nothing came out but when i stuck my finger in it there was about .5" of water in it.. i have some stuff caled quick sliver for weling snowmobile parts would that work if i can find it

Hey BT, I saw on the "list" a 20' bunk trailer for toon for only $600 or so. It ooked okay by the picture. I borrow one and the scirrors works better for me, or else I would buy it. Worth a search anyway.

Also, food dye in water helps a bit for finding leaks, if you can get it into toons.

Good luck.

I don't want to p on your parade but doesn't it make sense that if it is old enough to corrode a hole in one spot that it likely is weak in others? I have no direct epxerience but remember reading how guys spent all sorts of time chasing pin holes up and down on older floats. I also have read/heard about people injecting some sort of foam into them to help with the problem. Chris - ideas on this leak thing with an older rig?

I used to hear some water sloshing in mine. I drained them and now don't hear it. I am thinking that before I had it that maybe it was tied to dock on windy shore, and some water got into the toons from the little vent. Not sure, maybe my bro in law didn't tighten the plugs, he used to check for water each fall. I don't even check anymore, and it has been water tight for me, but I put teflon on plugs when going back in.

Unless a guy sees mouse p or mouse nests on the alum (their p will corrode through) or if they have a battery connected so as to corrode it (and you will notice the white oxidation powedr spots on the alum) I don't think you should have tiny holes.

The most obvious is usually the culprit, and I bet it would be a leaky plug. Fix that up and give it a whirl, is what I would do smile