• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Buffalo

icehousebob

A friend who raises a few buffalo has a new bull and has told me that in the near future he wants me to put down the old bull for butchering, since he doesnt't own a gun. Its not a hunt, but an execution. I want to do it as humanely as possible. I have a choice of 10 guns cabable of doing the job, but the one I choose is a 12 ga. rifled slug gun that drives tacks up to 100 yards.As a kid on the farm I killed hogs and steers with a .22 behind the ear for butchering, but this is different. They want to save the hide and skull. I,m thinking that a shot straight in the front of the chest should take both the heart ahd the lungs, without hurting the hide or skull. Some animals carry their vitals lower than others and I want to make this as humane as possible. Anyone out there have any knowledge of buffalo anatomy that can give me any advice?

I shot a calf Buffalo this fall. A meat hunt, so it was out the pick-up window in a pasture. The owners said that a guy shot a big one through the lungs and it went for a couple hours. Said that they were really tough animals. They preferred head shots, actually right in the ear. I used a 270 and
it did not create much hide damage.