• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Shotgun. Over/Under???

Johnsonator

I just got back from my 2nd S.D. Pheasant hunt and had a blast as always. I shoot a nova pump and tried a friends citori lightning and loved it. It is very fast and light, it felt like a feather compared to the nova. I think it is time to get an over under but I don't think I want to spend $1300 on a big name. I notice there are several affordable brands out there that feel great like traditions, baikal, and stoger. Anybody have any suggestions I will be using the gun mostly for pheasant and shooting clays. thanks.

I used to sell guns and would most often recomend that a person buy a gun that fits them well and that they feel comfortable handling. Sure the Stoeger or Stevens or Verona doesn't have an extra fancy walnut stock or gold inlays but they all have the same function. I'm going to buy the gun that fits my shoulder and my wallet. I bought a mossberg 500 for $179.95 this fall and it kills ducks as well as any other gun I've ever shot, maybe even better cause it fits me well, and I don't have to worry about scratching the stock or getting a little rust on it.

I own 3 Baikal's. I couldn't afford the big names either. I use mine fairly often and in the harsh december weather, if I keep them clean and oiled I have had no problems. I realize that if I do have a problem It may take some doing getting repairs on a Russian gun. I uasually agree that you get what you pay for but with O/U's and S x S the lack of moving parts, I think the manufactures have just drove the prices up and are selling name. Doesn't it take alot more machining to put together a auto, why are they so much cheaper? I think it's because they are the trendy thing to have. Nice engraving has never put birds on my table. Just some thoughts. I would be very happy to have a $1700 Browning or Berretta, just not in my budget.

I have to agree with you there, gold engraving and top notch walnut stocks have never killed birds. I was wondering for you guys who have the baikals and tradtions, how much use have you put them through and have they preformed with out problems or not?

I have a Biakal O/U that I've owned for about a year. I use it for trap shooting, pheasant and grouse. I wouldn't say that I've put too many shells through it, maybe 3000 altogether, but I have not had any problems with it. The first time I took it trap shooting they guy I was up against asked me if I bought it at K-mart. Well, to make a long story short he and his $2,000 shotgun got their a** kicked. Keep it cleaned and oiled and you should not have any problems.

I did have one little annoying thing going on with the gun, but I don't think that it had anything to do with the brand or design. The knuckle on my right middle finger was taking a beating when I shot. Every time I fired the trigger guard would smack it and I'd end up with a swelled finger if I shot more than 20 rounds in a day. I found out later that the butt of the gun was too short for me so I simply put a longer recoil pad on and the problem was solved.

Stick with the name brand o/u's. I have had several of the low priced o/u's and I shoot them apart, although I do shoot a lot of sporting clays and bird hunting. Shop arround, if you look long enough you can get a good gun for a resonable cost. Don't forget to check for used ones.

If you like the Citori try looking for a used Miruko or Charles Daily/Miruko. The guns are very similar in looks, feel and quality but they will run cheaper than a Browning. Miruko built the superposed for Browning. Charles Daily was an importer and had some Miruko's labeled with the Charles Daily name, these are the same as the superposed and Miruko. The current Charles Daily's (without a Miruko stamp) are NOT the same and are of lower quality.

[This message has been edited by bigdog (edited 12-31-2003).]

Thanks for the replys, after looking at a number of guns I think I am going to look for a used citori. I really like the feel and the quality. As far as an autoloader I just sold mine this year, and I have not missed it yet. It doesn't bother my that I would only have two shots, I just make them two quality shots. With an auto I always found myself shooting too fast with poor hit rates. I did alot better with my pump this year than I ever did with my auto, probly because I concentrate more knowing that I just can't pull the trigger as fast as I want. The main reason for a o/u is the feel of the gun.

I have a Baikal 20 ga o/u i like it it fits me well. i can buy three of them for what i would pay for a big name. I have only had it two years so i dont know how well it will hold up yet. The only problem i found is you need to treat the stock with a sealer. They are not well sealed.