• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ID request

MN Shutterbug

I believe Swainson's as well.

Nothing quite like the flute-notes of a Swainson's thrush in a boreal forest bog. The combination of white-throated sparrow and Swainson's thrush songs in late spring is the nexus of all that means "boreal." One can leave their cameras at home. One can be sitting still and attentive at the edge of a bog in "bog" country. Once experienced, these songs are never forgotten. Like the bubble/whistle of the meadowlark, the Swainson's/white-throated sparrow define the place in which you are.

I believe Swainson's as well.

Nothing quite like the flute-notes of a Swainson's thrush in a boreal forest bog. The combination of white-throated sparrow and Swainson's thrush songs in late spring is the nexus of all that means "boreal." One can leave their cameras at home. One can be sitting still and attentive at the edge of a bog in "bog" country. Once experienced, these songs are never forgotten. Like the bubble/whistle of the meadowlark, the Swainson's/white-throated sparrow define the place in which you are.

I didn't respond to this when you wrote it, but it has stayed with me so much as I am out walking in my own places. They are not boreal, and I'm not sure I have ever really experienced bog country, as you have defined it, but the sense of place is one thing that I think may define you and others as photographers. It is more than technical skill, more than understanding exposure, more than "good hands." I think perhaps it is the time spent sitting at the edge of the bog, or prairie pothole, or winter woods without camera in hand--observing where you are, experiencing where you are, loving where you are, which seperates 'capture' from artistry?

I didn't respond to this when you wrote it, but it has stayed with me so much as I am out walking in my own places. They are not boreal, and I'm not sure I have ever really experienced bog country, as you have defined it, but the sense of place is one thing that I think may define you and others as photographers. It is more than technical skill, more than understanding exposure, more than "good hands." I think perhaps it is the time spent sitting at the edge of the bog, or prairie pothole, or winter woods without camera in hand--observing where you are, experiencing where you are, loving where you are, which seperates 'capture' from artistry?

This is well expressed and gracefully written. Very nice job. smilesmile

Definately Swainsons, the first image is totally sweet! Not an easy species to get such a fine capture of. This bird may lack flashy colors but as Steve points out, there are few "colorful" birds in North America that can hold a candle next to this bird's song!