• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sighting in a new rifle

bklimek

I recently purchased a 300 WSM Tikka T3 Hunter with a Nikon Monarch 3-9x40 scope. What is the correct procedure for sighting it in. I heard you need to clean it in between shots? Should a person try different cartridges at this time or what? I want my rifle to be is accurate as possible so any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Get it bore sighted first, this will save you some ammo and should, if done right, get you really close.

If you have a round already picked out sight in with those first then try other brands, load & bullet combos until you find one you like. When you settle on one the fine tune you scope to the round.

I always punch the bore before the first shot and after every other shot while sighting in a new gun, after that if Im just out blowing holes in paper I will punch the bore after about 20 shots.

I use an adjustable rest and sand bags and make the gun stable, this will help eliminate the "flinch factor" each shot will be more accurate than trying to just hold the gun on the bench. I like to work my way to the 10 ring a shot at a time and as I start hitting the "X" I will shoot twice to make sure I had proper sight alighnment, sight picture and a good trigger squeeze, just take your time and make small adjustments and jot them down on paper, too much adjustment at once can throw everything out of wack and it can be hard to get back to where you were if you dont make notes.

Good luck & BE SAFE !

Muski Maina has it right, thats what we tell the people who come out to sight in thier rifles for deer season at Beaverbrook rifle range.

Definatly get it bore sighted, those short mags are expensive, also I would add try the 25 yard line first to be sure the bore sight got you close.Then move out to the 100 yard mark to get it zeroed where you want it.
Benny