• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

older Winchester ?

uffdapete

irvingdog, is your store in Robinsdale?
Is it the big gun store there with the new ownership?
Reason I ask is I am looking for a range that will sign my CMP form so I can buy a M1 Garand.I tried Metro but those clowns won't sign any thing for me.Even if they sat there and watched me fire the 50 rounds needed to qualify.

Benny

Uffdapete,
Is the gun you're reffering to a Winchester .22 WRF ? Octagon barrel, pump, tubular magazine, take down model with a thumb screw on one side to take the gun apart into 2 pieces ?
If so, I think it''s a model 1918 or 1914, (my memory fails me, and I haven't pulled it out of the gun safe in ages) made in 1930.
I have one. I've seen prettier versions with birds eye maple stocks and nickle plated barrels and receivers in books.

You can still get ammo for them from Cabella's once in a while. When I was kid I used to shoot .22 long rifles through it and they'd always expand and jam in the breech......it was years later that I realized I was shooting the wrong caliber ammo from it. It's more like an old version of a .22 mag.
Oh yeah...I used to see them at gun shows going for $300 to $600 depending on their condition.

[This message has been edited by Twitter (edited 12-08-2003).]

The first Winchester rimfire pump was the octgon barrel Model 1890. Got two of them. They came in short, long, long rifle, and WRF. A lot of them have corroded out rifling from the corrosive powder used in the shells then. Next was the 1906, that came in short, long, and long rifle, interchangably. Those would have been the rifles of the 1930,s. Later, came the Model 62 and the next was the hammerless Model 61. The 61 also came in the .22mag. I've only seen one of the mags. High bucks.

The gun is in the family, but I haven't seen it yet. I'm hoping to get a look in a couple weeks. I was told it doesn't have an octagon barrel, that it does have a hammer.
I'll try and get a model number over the phone.