• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

At what size do you throw back?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

depends on where I'm fishing. If it's Mille lacs , 14-18. Otherwise I won't keep anything under 14, or it depends on how the bite is.Nothing bigger than 19". And I would only keep one of those, and a few smaller ones for a meal.

Anyone...ANYONE Who keeps a 13 inch Walleye should "STOP" and think.

I have fish in my Aquarium that are larger than that!

WHAT A JOKE...!

No one keeps a walleye in my boat unless it is 15 inches.

If I were being ultra conservative "on that day" I might let you keep a 14 1/2.

15-19 Best eaters!

I been catching & eating walleyes for over 40 Years & I can say that

21-24 Inch taste dam good too !

Statewide 15 Min.... !

BF

WHAT A JOKE...!

15-19 Best eaters!

Statewide 15 Min.... !

BF

alot of lakes don't grow them fast enough. Alot of northern mn lakes dont grow walleyes much bigger than 20. Island lake in particular comes in mind, with very slow growing walleyes. I can count the amount of walleye over 15 inches I have caught on two hands, however I have caught hundreds and hundreds of fish less than 14.

I like 14-19, but will ocasionaly keep them down to 13 and up to 20 depending on how badly I want fish for dinner or what the average size was.

WHAT A JOKE...!

15-19 Best eaters!

Statewide 15 Min.... !

BF

Anyone, ANYONE who keeps 24" eyes for eating should stop and think!!!

Anyone, ANYONE who keeps 24" eyes for eating should stop and think!!!

Why's that, if there isn't a restricted slot to not keep them and they are legal, I say go for it, if that's what you choose to do. Most people on boards will condem those for doing it but when it comes down to reality and legal limits, I think more keep them then you think or hear about...pretty easy to sit and ridicule people when no one can see your actions....just my .02

Let's go over this again for those who my have missed it the first 50 times. In lakes that have a stunted population, Island lake in St. Louis County and Crocodile in Cook county are two examples that I know of. You have a good population of walleyes but a limited forage base. By thinning out the smaller fish you're actually helping increase the size of the overall population. Another thing that would help is to keep all the smallies, northerns and legal muskies that your allowed. Before you bass and muskie guys chime in remember that this is the "walleye" forum.

The point is that to say you should only keep a certain length fish say 17" to 19" is fine for most lakes but in some fisheries you are doing more damage than good. Know your lakes.

Don't want to start any arguments, there are certainly enough people who jump to conclusions in these forums, just want to make sure everyone noticed the rule change in regards to walleye limits. I believe it went into affect last season:

6* (Not more than 1 walleye over 20" in possession)

Good reminder! A bunch of guys got pinched last opening weekend up in the Basswood area for keeping too many over 20". For the life of me I don't know why anyone would want so many bigger fish - but that's just me.