• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking for some hunting land

slenz

Slenz, you are best to look north than anywhere else for good prices. And land without lakeshore is MUCH cheaper. We have 5 acres with a cabin and a few hundred feet of lakeshore and it is worth more than many 80acre + prime hunting plots. My brother and I do a lot of searching for good deals, so if you give me a price range I could suggest a few places that we have passed on for one reason or another. [email protected]

slenz, You make want to look into leasing from a major lumber company. It's a yearly lease with various sizes available, mostly from about Mille Lacs north. It's relativeley cheap with many sizes available. You get to re-lease from year to year as long as you follow the rules which seem pretty simple. I don't know if I can mention the name here. Let me know if you are interested and I'll figure out a way to let you know.

Does anyone know what the going rate is for hunting land? I'm thinking primarily woods and swamp, without lakeshore. How much does the price vary around the state? I'm most interested in the Alexandria/Sauk Center area and north 40 or 50 miles.

Prices are "all over the board". I purchased 4 acres of swampland that I needed for road access, and paid a premium of $20,000. I'm about 8 miles west of st cloud and there's an 80 acre piece for sale, it's currently about 60 acres in crop, and 20 acres in swamp/grass and small pond. It's just been listed by a realtor for $31,000 per acre!!!! Yikes! You have to get away from the metro area to drop the price. A friend of mine purchased 200 acres just south of Avon which is all timber, and swamp and paid $5,000 per acre.

If there are any of you out there who would like to form a hunting club and combine resources to purchase some land in Stearns county (preferrably the eastern 1/2) I'd be interrested. Ideally I'd like a minimum of 80 acres......mostly wooded.

Yea, land can be really expensive. Last year a guy bought a 3 acre plot next to our cabin for 40 grand, and its all hill and swampy shoreline. But if you look at the right areas you can still get some "good" deals. Look way north for cheaper wooded land, anything west or south is gonna get you, or anything near the cities.

5000 GRAND PER ACRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HOLY CR*P!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Man, I thought people were nuts paying $1000 to $1500 per acre up in Ottertail county.
Oh my. I will never be able to buy my own chunk. frown.gif
My dad does own the farm he grew up on, but thats shared with his brother. I was hoping some day to be able to own my own chunk.
I tried approaching the adjacent landowner to my dad about buying a 40 this summer, but no go. dump, if they ever do sell, it will be 10 years from now at $5000 acre. UGH!

Yes land is expensive. Land prices around the Alex- Fergus Falls runs $1,000-$2,000 per acre. Sebeka over to Long Prairie land is a little cheaper $800-1200 per acre for woods/open ground with CRP income. I could keep an eye open for anyone interested or do a search at my site from the home page of FM under Lakes Area Property.

Scott

Was lookin at land around the state, and elsewhere, noticed out west in states like montana you can get land if purchased in big acreages for under 100 an acre. Saw one 5,600 acre for under 400,000. Not exactly woods though wink.gif