• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Daiwa Saltist

Have any of your new Saltist sounded rough in the first several hours? I love the way it brings in crankbaits and bucktails. Casting for me was a little touchy. My reel was/is noisy -- almost like the 6500's that screamed on the cast until you could take it apart and lube it up eek I did do the old dunk it in the lake many times and that helped out. I only used my 30 levelwind for a few (around 3-4) hours last Tuesday night. I brought mine home and removed the left side plate and oiled things up. I chickend out on the handle side. I will give it a few more try's before I tear into it.

I think the reel has a nice solid feel to it and I am still looking forward to many (years in my case) hours of fishing with the reel. I am not bashing this reel at all.

At this point I think it is a small issue.

I very well could have the last one put together on the last hour of the week eek

Thanks

Steve

HawgTrough, if you want a pure high speed big blade reel go with the 30TH. It has the same line pick up as the 40HA and the Trinidad. But is lighter than the 40HA. My fishing partner and I both used one all last year and so far this year in every weather condition and tournaments. My fishing partner has the Trinidad and we have raced our #10s and they come in the same.

It is a non-levelwind but anyone that has thrown a baitcaster before can get the hang of it.

The only drawback to it is it is a specialized reel for lures that are brought back in a straight line. Bucktails and topwater. So if you throw alot of bucktails it is well worth it.

Hey guys. With your saltists are you completely filling your spool with line? I have the 40HA and filled the spool and I don't think it burns the bait like it is capable of doing. Just thought I would ask before I cut off a bunch of line. If so, how much line would you recommend on the spool? Thanks.

I like to keep my Saltist about half full. I think it minimizes my backlash that would otherwise result in cutting line and time wasted. The first few times out with it can get a little frustrating but now I love it.

i feel like I have to try one of these based on the input

However For you guys that had em last year how were they in Nov ???

this is important because there are reels out there that are smooth and run like a swiss watch but come November they cant take it,,,Original Calcuttas 4.1 were really prone to freeze up alot of guys would switch back to 6500s in Nov,,The two penn 975's my buddy has have been great reels but both just cant handle it for long in November temps and its not line related this is with all different brands tried,,If I get one of these Big Crank reels Id like to use it too for big Nov plastics

Based on a fair amount of hours using the Saltist this season I'm going to stick with my trusty 7000 for big Nov plastic. At least the way I work 'em, the Saltist is not my reel for dawgs.

Big cranks will still be thrown with the saltist though, great reel for that. Hopefully she'll stand up to the test in the cold.

I guess I don't know why the saltist wouldn't work for big plastics 50inchpig, i use mine for them all the time, no problems. But you did say based on how you work them, to each his own.

I don't like a 40 series with levelwind being chuck full. The reel loses some mechanical advantage at that point, it's much less work to retrieve with about 1.5 casts taken off. I wouldn't go down to 1/2 full, there are much easier reels to fish that will do 35 inches of line pickup....mine's down to about 40 inches and i can still burn the carp out of any blades.

FWIW, it pulls double 20's just fine. wink

I had my 40HA spool full, took a bit of line off last night, and through it again tonight. It didn't seem to burn big blades any easier for me. However, the blades were scootin' right along, it was still a lot of work on my end to get them to go. Maybe it's something I need to get use to...

I had my 40HA spool full, took a bit of line off last night, and through it again tonight. It didn't seem to burn big blades any easier for me. However, the blades were scootin' right along, it was still a lot of work on my end to get them to go. Maybe it's something I need to get use to...

It's definitely not EASY to burn the blades with these reels. The high gear ratio on the reels makes it fairly hard to turn the crank at a high speed. The benefit of the high gear ratio is that you can crank at a medium pace while still smoking that tail along

JRedig-

What kind of line have you been using on your Saltists? I usually go with PowerPro, but was thinking of trying something else. Maybe Cortland's Master braid...

Got out with WallyGator and tried the 40. Definitely will be picking one up and possibly a 30. Trying to decide on the levelwind or not in the 30...

I believe i've got the stren stuff this time, no complaints at all. 80lb. Cortland is great, it's my other favorite. I'm really starting to not like tuff line at all compared to these others, it brings in a lot of water.

I can't stand powerpro, only line i've ever had break/bleed/fray.

Why wouldn't you get a levelwind? That seems like a no brainer...

I've been noticing the water issue on my reels spooled with tuff line as well. I have Cortland on other reels and the stuff is great. But with the tough stuff I have to wipe my handles down every 10 minutes.

Tuff line has always had the rep for retaining the most water,especially the salt and pepper colored one with the black thread running around it,,not the line to use in Oct-close or in a bloom-your shirt will turn green,,,great line otherwise