• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

When can I apply crabgrass preventer?

NELS-BELLS

I want to apply some lawn fertilizer w/crabgrass preventer and I'm not sure when is a good time to put it down. I know that timing is important. Hopefully I'm not too late. I live in central MN.

Thanks,

Nels

I'd put it down this weekend, if you have the time, next weekend at the latest.

If you've never had crabgrass before, don't be too concerned. If you've been infested with it in the past, you might want to put an application down as your second application in mid to late June.

So I was busy Friday night and could not get time to put down the weed and feed. It was windy all weekend and looks to remain windy through the week. Do I need to wait for the wind to die down before putting this stuff down (granular type)? I would hate to kill any of the hostas and other plants we have in various gardens around the house. From the sounds of it it's getting pretty late to be doing this?

So I was busy Friday night and could not get time to put down the weed and feed. It was windy all weekend and looks to remain windy through the week. Do I need to wait for the wind to die down before putting this stuff down (granular type)? I would hate to kill any of the hostas and other plants we have in various gardens around the house. From the sounds of it it's getting pretty late to be doing this?

Weed-n-Feed will still work.

What product are you using?

I know Scotts usually has fairly fine particles, which will want to blow around in the wind. If it's a "normal" pellet you can do that if it's a bit windy, you just may have double coverage in some areas.

You'll be fine. You won't get as good of results as if you used a liquid weed control, but that's okay.

You'll have to apply it when the ground is wet right after a rain, an early morning dew, or irrigation run through.

You'll be fine. You won't get as good of results as if you used a liquid weed control, but that's okay.

You'll have to apply it when the ground is wet right after a rain, an early morning dew, or irrigation run through.

Instead of the weed and feed could I use something like Trimec and the a bag of fertilizer I have left over last year. This is my first time trying to take of a lawn, especially since the back yard is all new as of last year. Some areas are still thin and a few spots are bare, but I will address that in a month or two.

Ideally both (plus the yard really needs fertilizer asap), but from what I gather I would need a couple different products to do both. I wasn't sure if it's too late to try to tackle crab grass at this point or not.

I would like to be able to try to seed some bare spots in a month or so also, sooner if possible but I don't think it is if I put weed killers down. That may be asking too much?

Depending on what weed killer you're going to use, they will generally not allow seeding for 14-21 days, if not a bit longer.

The crabgrass preventer will stop you from germinating any seed for 6-8 weeks, at least effectively, generally speaking.

Here's what I would do. Quickly get a crabgrass preventer down, they'll have fertilizer with it.

In about 2-3 weeks, spray your yard with a decent broadleaf herbicide. You could do it at the same time as well, but don't use another granular weed-n-feed, because now you're going to double the amount of fertilizer and either you'll burn your yard, or you'll be mowing every night.

Then late summer (end of August) fix your bare spots as you should have SOME weeds under control by now. You'll have weeds again, because anything that's gone to seed (dandelions) will germinate new plants again.

Spray the yard again for weeds right after the first frost. This triggers plants to suck in as much energy to hardy over winter, and you'll get the best kill ratio as the chemical gets quickly taken to the root system.

Fertilize again around the beginning of September, and then mid October.

You'll probably have to spray one more time next spring, but you should be on top of it by then.