• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

exhaust...

gr8icefishinmind

Soooo I have a 2007 650 v-twin brute force and the one thing i do not care for about the machine is the sound of it! I like my machines to have a little bit of a growl to them and the kawi just doesn't have it! I love the sound of the grizzlys!! Was wondering if anyone had ideas of a good aftermarket exhaust system to put on that may give it a little meaner sound?? Does dual exhaust like the polaris's help any??

Thanks

not to go against what you are saying but......Kawi V-twins have the deepest best sounding engine made. They are deep and throaty. Grizzlys are a single and dont sound good unless its piped.

If you pipe the brute you will be extremely pleased. If you go with a slip on I would get the HMF utility series, puts out a good deep rumble. If you go with a full system go with either a Muzzy or a Big Gun. They both put out a nice deep throaty rumble.

Most people buy V-twins for the sound!

I agree that the Kawi's are the best sounding V-Twin ATV out there. Although they don't quite have that "harley-esque" rumble to them.

Be careful on which exhaust you choose. The MN DNR does check decibel levels in some areas and it's a mandatory check to get into the Gilbert ATV park.

I ride with a a guy who has a grizzly 660 and his is by far better sounding that my kawi! But......I only have 500 miles on it so maybe it will get deaper with more miles on the exhaust!! I don't really want to go louder, just deeper and more mean sounding! I do love my v-twin though!! Thanks for the advice!!!

the Grizz 660 is a different motor than the current breed of beast. The 660 had a 5 valve head whereas the 700 is only a 4 valve head.

The 660 Raptor with a pipe was one of the best sounding sport machines out there.

The best sounding sport quad I've ever heard was a Yamaha Banshee that was built and had pipes on it. Another bystander said it best when he exclaimed "DAM THAT MACHINE SOUNDS P'd OFF".

There was no other sound like it. Not even another Banshee. The owner wouldn't tell us what he had done to the motor. But whatever it was, it sure was sweet sounding.

Soooo......i went with the hmf swampper series for the new exhaust! Was gonna go with the hmf utility series but did some research and the swampper exhaust should give me 18% more power compared to 6% with the utility! I'm excited to see what the kawi 650 will be able to do now! Bad part is I need to get new jets installed which should also give some more power though!! Hope to get everything by this wednesday and have everything installed to ride it this coming weekend!!

Ended up that the swampper wouldn't work on a 650 kawi so I went with the utility series and the kawi sounds MEAN!!! It has a deep growl to it now, it is louder but not abnoxiously loud! Pretty satisfied with it, as far as noisy goes.....everybody has different tastes! Do u think harleys are loud and annoying?? I personally love the sound of a machine that sounds tough and mean like a harley! Anyways.......yeah it sounds really nice!!

They both are all sound and no go! I love it when they go to pass you and they have to down shift and they make all kinds of racket they sound like they are going to come sreaming by and they come by at a crawl showing all that performace they are known for.

After putting the exhaust on i ended up having no top end speed at all, i'd hit 50 mph and would have no go after that almost like it was chipped to shut down after hitting a certain rpm. After doing some checking we came to find that the recommended jetting that is listed by hmf on their HSOforum wasn't correct and hmf even admitted that what they had put on the HSOforum was incorrect. Put the new jetting on and the top end came back as well as the power.....a little disappointed with hmf though that they knew they had put the wrong thing on the internet and hadn't changed it, that would have save alot of headache!!

Here's what I did with my Grizzly. Left the stock exhaust alone but opened up that weeny outlet which made a world of difference in the tone of the big thumper. Now it sounds like it has a pair! I can take the spark arrestor out if I wish or leave it in because of the way the factory muffler and tip was designed with just three bolts holding the tip/arrestor in. Although it is a tad louder with the arrestor out, I prefer to just leave it in as it sounds just perfect. The beauty of this is I can put the factory tip back on as no modifications are needed to the factory muffler. Everything is bolt-on.

All I did was cut out a donut shaped piece of metal for the base and then bought a chrome exhaust tip at an auto parts store which I then cut down as you can see in the picture below and welded to the base. Punched three holes for the factory bolts to attach to the factory muffler and done.

After doing the exhaust mod it goes thump, thump, thump, instead of putt, putt, putt which is embarrassing and pathetic for a 660, let alone an ATV with a name like Grizzly. anitoof.gif

Picture012.jpg