• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone have that moultrie trail cam from walmart?

Looking to add a another trail cam an dont have alot of cash, walmart has a moultrie that dosent hurt the pocket book, are they any good, are they IR or flash? i'd prefer IR, any one experience flash spooking bear? I have a 6.0 moultrie an love it but at 3 bills wifypoo puts the K-bosh on that. Later boar

I have a couple of the lower end moultries (think they were $80-90) and haven't had any problems. Only had about a year though. They have flash and haven't had any problem spooking bears or any game. Only thing I don't like is they have real cheap bungees to mount to tree. Would be easy to replace them with better straps.

A buddy of mine has two of the 80 dollar range ones. They out preform my stealh cams. Easy on the batteries. Take good enough pics. One or two are my list this year. I have never had a problem with flash on bears. We put the cams on baits all the time when running the dogs. Works great during the training season so we dont run the big bears, if we cant find a track around the baits. Then during the kill season we can reverse it and focus more on the bigger ones.

Chad

Thanks guys, bungie cords dont bother me, I work in a welding shop an can make my own camera safe, works as good as the ones on the stores, it helps to run a plasma cutter an welder at my disposal. klecker, you must be from WI, I'd like to dog bears just once, read alot about it an it's intrieging to me, I think it would be a blast. Ok then off to wally's I go. Thanks boar

I have the ones that have flashes and LOVE them. Great price for a great camara. Looking at reviews on the camara before buying one and for the most part they had great reviews. Do not know the web site but just punch in Game Camara into any search engine on the web and it will give you a site that does honest reviews. I really found out that they do not hold anything back about there reviews.

Froggy

Here are some samples from my cheap ($99) Moltrie camera:

1145796869_45661143fb.jpg

1146640818_3a07ac51e3.jpg

2894220610_d5190ee19a.jpg

These are just on the normal or low quality option. I think there is an option for higher quality pics as well, but it uses more memory. The flash doesn't seem to bother them, in fact, I had tons of 2008 pics because they only came in after dark.

Boar,

If you ever want to come over and check it out feel free. Training season starts July 1ST. My buds run the dogs real hard to get them ready. Its only catch and release but its still fun to watch the hounds do their thing. Plus you get to see alot of bears up close. Let me now if you want to come and par take. Its a good way to see if its something you want to do. Take my kids, nothing better than having a 4 year old talk about the bear and the dogs for a week straight.

Klecker, thanks alot for the invite, but it wont happen anytime soon, WI just is'nt in the cards for any road time. If I ever get time to do that I'll let ya know. Thanks again. Boar

Ya I just googled red lake falls and ya that would be quite the drive. We hunt right on the mn/wi line for the fyi. If its something you want to do someday you should maybe think about starting to build up the prefernce points. As of now the zone we hunt in is 7-8 years to get a tag. We Hunt zone d. Zone B is like 9 years to get a tag. Zone A is in the 5-6 year range. They just got done doing a study and think the bear population is double of what they thought. So with that the tags are increasing but they are being carefull not to issue to many and cause an over harvest. So hopefully the wait time gets down to what it ussed to be in the 4 year range. With us being allowed to hunt with hounds they allternate the seasons. The first 7 or 9 days every year is set aside for use of dogs only, or for bait only. Even years bait hunts get the first week, odd years dogs get first crack. Wi also has a preety high success rate. Usaully in the 60% range when bait has the first week. 50 some % when dogs go first. The year Bait gets to go first the applications for kill tags is higher as people wnat to go before dogs. What alot of people dont get or understand is that the dogs have been going since july. So they never really go before, if they are hunting on public land. We dont run other peoples baits. Applications are due by Dec 10th every year. They can be submitted starting in March of the year. Three dollars per application. I better not high jck this thread any more. Heres my email or we could maybe start another thread. Im sure some other people might want to learn a little about this stuff to. I know Cooter on here hunts with the hounds as well and could provide some goog info to. I'll start one in the wisconsin thread in july when training season starts. Should be able to post some good pics as well. Email me and I will give you my buddies HSOforum with his bear hunting pics.

[email protected]

What I do is take my pocket digital camera with me, take the card out of the Moultrie and stick it in the camera to view pics.