• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

E-TEC FRIED

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go with a four-stroke next time (and I don't mean a verado). Better on the gas, no oil to burn, quiet, and all without having to worry about your injectors going bad. Day in and day out, much more reliable and trouble-free. You can't beat a Yamaha. If two-stroke technology was superior you'd be driving it to work everyday.

I had water shooting out the dash the other day on my boat(under warranty). So I called the dealer (biggest e-tec dealer in my neck of the woods, plus he sells yamaha). I have bought all of my boats from him. I told him I blew up the motor and his response was , "I'd be the first". Then I told him about this thread and asked him what he thought. He said he sells 3 e-techs to every one yamaha and would recommend an e-tec over a yamaha any day of the week. He also said do a search on people who have yamaha trouble and it will be far and above and e-tec problems. By the way the problem with the water shooting out the dash was the speedometer cable came off or loose.

some body made a comment about if 2 storke was the way to go

we would be driving 2 stroke cars

seems to me 2 stroke has been on the market much much much longer than 4

granted these are differenet but i guess again i refer to how long bombardier has been building motors...snowmobiles...all the way to airplanes

the e-tec is a cutting edge motor which is cool

i believe to meet requirements soon the 4 stroke is going to be going up in size big time which means heavy which means you going to hafta buy more horses than you really need

i have yet to really race any one but i have 150 on a 21 ft fiberglas boat 1860 just the boat so we are well over the 2000lb mark and i'm sure no 150 4 stroke would push that as fast or specially out of the hole i never lose sight of whats in front of me powerrrrrrrrrrrr

and i love to listen to it idle smoooooth

He also said do a search on people who have yamaha trouble and it will be far and above and e-tec problems.

Did you do a search like he said? I did and the results were the exact opposite of his statement as I found WAY more E-tec complaints than Yamaha. hummmm.

Originally Posted By: Down2Earth
He also said do a search on people who have yamaha trouble and it will be far and above and e-tec problems.

Did you do a search like he said? I did and the results were the exact opposite of his statement as I found WAY more E-tec complaints than Yamaha. hummmm.

''

I'm sure you did. Try using the words "Yamaha Troubles" instead of "E-Tec Troubles" maybe it will turn out different. This dealer also repairs all the things he sells so with the boat dealers being in very very poor shape this year I'd be trying to persuade customers to keep them as happy as I could. I'm sure when customers ask he says Yamahas are good but I'd recommend an E-Tec. But some people will always have to have a 4 stroke and some will always want a 2 stroke so as a dealer I'd sell the 2 I thought would keep my customers happy.

I have an E-tec that has been in the shop 3 times for the same problem and they can't fix it. It starts fine and runs fine but after running full throttle for any amount of time, it won't idle and actually dies after you get to where you are going. After re-start it seems to clear out and idle but not like it used to. Mine is 3 years old and I have a 7 year warranty. I have had no out of pocket cost other than running the stupid thing to the dealer every weekend and not having it run like it should.

I called the BRP help line and they thought is a throttle position sensor. They have been replaced and there is no change.

This is getting very frustrating but I still say this is the best performing outboard I have ever owned before this new wrinkle. I’m not giving up on E-tec…yet.

I have an E-tec that has been in the shop 3 times for the same problem and they can't fix it. It starts fine and runs fine but after running full throttle for any amount of time, it won't idle and actually dies after you get to where you are going. After re-start it seems to clear out and idle but not like it used to. Mine is 3 years old and I have a 7 year warranty. I have had no out of pocket cost other than running the stupid thing to the dealer every weekend and not having it run like it should.

I called the BRP help line and they thought is a throttle position sensor. They have been replaced and there is no change.

This is getting very frustrating but I still say this is the best performing outboard I have ever owned before this new wrinkle. I’m not giving up on E-tec…yet.

Is there a "lemon law" for outboards? Sounds like they should give you a new motor

I wish there was a Lemon Law for outboards. If there was I would stick this thing in someone's ear and wait for a new one. When I bought mine, the E-tec was by far the most expensive outboard available. For the first 2 years it was money well spent. Now I'm not so sure...