• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

E-TEC FRIED

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the faulty injector or injectors likely caused the problem. They can cause damage on the lean(burn down) or rich (lubrication problems, hydrolock). Bad injectors cause most powerhead damage on 2 stroke fuel injected motors.

Does running all the extra fuel additives like Quickleen and other various products help prevent fouled/bad injectors? Does Sea-Foam fall in the same category? Is this more of a design issue of BRP's injectors compared to other brands? (Sorry about all the questions)

man i tell ya tho.. these big tickets items are sometihing else from boats...motors to rvs the money we dish out for

the [PoorWordUsage] we sometimes get I'm not saying your motor is [PoorWordUsage] i have a e tec to but still you said over 9 k to fix it whats it cost new 10 15 k and last 4 yrs yrs geeeeeeeez

my rv was 37k 3 yrs ago had to put a new kitchen and bathroom floor in this sppring tv dont work one of the propane regulators went out none of it was real costy to fix but geeeeeeeeez 4yrs for 37k

i will give yar craft a shout 39k last spring had some problems but all were taken care of very nicely

I know of a few guys who have had nothing but problems with the Evinrudes. 1 is on his 4th or 5th power head. His 2nd E-tech just went down again a few weeks ago during a tourney. I used to love Evinrude but wont buy one again after seeing all this guys issues.

Lets not throw Evinrude under the bus here. It wasn't all that long ago that both Mercury and Yamaha where blowing their Opti-max and HPDI powerheads at an alarming rate as well. I bet if you took a look at what years these E-TECS are that are having problems you will find that for the most part, the problem has been fixed.

ya i still have faith in mine

lots of times as i'm gettin ready to leave the dock and people are walking by they comment sure sounds nice huh !!

it does sound good and run good i guess only time will tell

yes i heard the same things bout merc many times

maybe not as many bout yamaha but as i said

which ever i believe these companys need to stand behind there motors

we are spending big buck on this stuff and thats ok IF IT LASTS

i had my last boat and motor for 20yrs and that boat owed

me nothing lots of enjoyment came from that boat few boats have had as many walleyes in it as that one did !!

it was an evrinrude but omc then not bombardier

even with all the chatter bout this motor and debbie adding hers thats still not bad for all the e-tecs i see on the water

northlander said something about a guy going threw 4-5 heads theres more to that story either the wrong guys are puttin it back together or its just a plain lemon he must like the motor or after the 3rd i think i woulda changed lol

Lets not throw Evinrude under the bus here. It wasn't all that long ago that both Mercury and Yamaha where blowing their Opti-max and HPDI powerheads at an alarming rate as well. I bet if you took a look at what years these E-TECS are that are having problems you will find that for the most part, the problem has been fixed.

Up until this post have have not heard of anyone disappointed with there E tec. So I figured I just run a check on the net for ETec problems. The 2 main problems I seen were plugs getting to much oil during slow trolling, pins and some wiring issues. I did see a few people who had powerhead problems. I also seen on 3 or 4 boards of this same person (not any of the people posting here) posting powerheads blown and someone busting this person to be a long lived Yamaha owner and never owning an Etec. I also seen people post the customer service number for ETec and say go right to the top. Which always seems to work better from my past experiences.

I got a quote for a local performance shop to do the following which was less compared to replacing with new parts from BRP:

bore/hone 2 cylinders

replace piston rings

replace 2 injectors

replace impeller

NO new powerhead needed.

Insurance WILL cover complete re-build!!! YES. Getting by with $200 deductible. Thats excellent insurance in my book.

I'll be on the water for Musky opener.