• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

E-TEC FRIED

UPDATE ON 2005 200HP E-TEC. POWERHEAD IS DONE! 2 INJECTORS SHOT! NO HARD FAULTS SHOWED UP ON THE COMPUTOR. NO WATER IN THE GAS. THEY HAVE NO EXPLANATION AT THIS POINT AS TO WHAT HAPPENED. THEY'RE DIGGING FURTHER TO FIND A CAUSE. MOTOR HAS ABOUT 185 HRS ON IT AND ITS A YEAR OUT OF WARRANTY. DO YOU THINK I'LL HAVE A CASE TO GET IT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY WITH BRP SINCE AT THIS POINT THERE IS NO EXPLANATION AS TO WHAT HAPPENED?

I DON'T KNOW IF I EVEN WANT IT FIXED IS THEY CAN'T FIND A CAUSE. ITS LIKE THROWING GOOD MONEY AFTER BAD

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I would question why 2 injectors were shot. Were you running on 4 and didn't know it? Is this what caused the top end to sh!t? I would think they would have an error code for this, but maybe not. Bad deal. I saw a 200 opti put a 50 cent piece size hole in the side of the block and Merc told us the same thing...... Don't know what happened, sorry!

I was fishing with a guy last week with a 250 HO Etec. We were running wide open at 63 MPH and all of a sudden we lost some power and only could get about 45 mph. We thought we blew the power head. After we stopped and listened to it idle we realized we probably lost a cylinder. We weren't sure if it seized or if we lost the injector.

It ended up being an injector going out. It was covered under warranty. I don't believe there was any specific reason it went out it just did. I doubt they will cover it for you under warranty.

Regarding warranty - I wouldn't give up hope. Work with the shop/dealer to get BRP to pay. I've had warranty repairs made to my vehicle and outboard after the warranty expired. Thankfully, I had very determined people doing the repairs who fought for me. Remember, the repair shop gets paid to do the work. They will often go to bat for you - it's money in their pocket if they get to do the work. Plus, the manufacturer doesn't need upset customers. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Ouch... good luck!

I would do some searching on the internet as well and see what you can find for similar year and similar failure mode to bolster your case a little bit. If you can speak intelligently and calmly to the service tech or customer service at Evinrude your case will go further.

marine_man

OK.....estimate came back... (OUCH)

New Powerhead (not fully dressed) $8000

2 new injectors $1250

BRP said they would pay for 50% of parts but no labor. They also will not warranty the parts since they are discounting them. (most parts have 1 yr warranty I think) I'm still not done dealing with them on this. I'm going to ask them to consider working a deal on a fully dressed powerhead.

2 cylinders were scored #2 & #4. My concern is WHY did this happen? Did the injectors fail? All the service tech wront down was "lack of lubrication." If so, I am concerned that the other 4 injectors could go bad as well. Why did they fail? I need to find out if they can test the other injectors to insure they are working properly. I don't want to throw good money after bad.

I was also considering other motor options if I don't fix this one. Found a new in crate (2005) Yamaha 200hp model SX200 TXRD for about $7500 not rigged that has a 3 yr warranty on it. Don't know anything about this motor however.

What type of oil where you using and do you know what the engine was programed for? This particular engine can be programed for both BRPs 50 (semi synthetic) or 100 (full synthetic) oil. The oil consumption rates are different as well as their cold weather compatabilities.

Thats all I can guess other than this motor has been known to pop a few powerheads, but in it's defense, there are an awful lot of these out there in the tournement circuits and they can take some serious abuse.

From the start I've been extremely leery of the E-Tech.

I just think they live to close to the edge as far as trying use use minimal Oiling. From the start with their non-sense marketing claims of no maintenance necessary and the lack of long term data with this new technology really makes a guy wonder.

Yeah, they run great and you don't use hardly any oil nor can you see or smell the oil... I would imagine running that lean would do that!

On paper its sounds great but I'd have to pass on E-Tech at this point.

This is just my opinion of course!

well its not merc or other motors dont lose power heads now and then

i think the big deal here is what the company stands behind

at least to me

you are right they might be on the edge

but thats what makes things better if we stay with same ole same ole we would still being useing the merc 50 tiller on boats

i think if they havnt given you any real difinate answer why

that happen

I'd press them for alittle more

make mention you are on here for one thing and hundreds are watching and wondering

that still alot of money for a motor only what 4 yrs old

if you had to maybe pay 1500 for labor or something i could live with that

thing that bugs me here is there dont really tell you why

i wouldnt let up on them

i just looked this tread has been veiwed over 800 times

granted a few of us more than once but use it might get you another grand or 2-3

as well as mine runs this doesnt make me happy to see this

explain to them even guys who have them on here cant really brag how good they are now i think the loss of sales will be way more than anther 3-4k to them

Given that you don't know why it burned down the first time (so, there's no reason to think it won't burn down again), and the cost of a new motor is less than parts and labor to rebuild your existing I'd be hard pressed not to jump ship to a different motor.

marine_man

I came across this thread quite by accident. Hubby has 115hp Etec we purchased in Apr 06 and 2nd cylinder went open fishing weekend this year, 34 days after warranty. Our motor only has 94 hrs on it and hubby is asking the same question "why". So far, BRP has said they will cover the motor but not the labor. Going to try to work with dealer as well for remainder.