• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mauer

fishin58

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: PierBridge
I hope Gardy doesn't cave in and sticks to his game plan on resting Mauer whenever possible like yesterday which was a no-brainer. I hope he can find some rest for Morneau also we cant beat him into the ground again this year. That really killed us and cost us the Division title IMO.

Go Gardy dont change a thing!

It's a marathon and not a sprint.

Shouldnt it be Morneau's job to be in good enough physical condition to play the entire season?

I sure think so.

If someone needs a day off I understand, but do it when were playing a team that isn't as talented as the Red Socks.

I also question why Crede and Mauer sat out during the same game?

people must remember.. mauer is a catcher,, the only one to win a batting title. He needs rest. Justin,,, he needs to play every day like big time 1b play,, Big AL of the CArds and most young stud 1B guys rarely get a day off. Catcher, that's a different deal all around. But-- my goodness, the dude is hitting .444 in 86AB with 11 HR in that time. He needs to be a DH when not catching. MAuer has a legit chance to hit above .380 this year,,, that's sick.

ALso-- I seem to remember a guy named Mark Prior that was picked ahead of Mauer in 2002. That's why they are the Cubs and we are the Twins.

Mark Prior-- now that's FUNNY!!!!

Mudcutter, I couldn't agree more, he probably does need time off behind the plate, I caught for 4 years in high school and legion ball and even playing 3-4 games a week for a few months you get sore. I just think his bat needed to be in the line up the entire game.

Mauer was 0 for 3 last nite. Time to trade him before his trade value dips. I bet we could get Mientkevicz, Luis Rivas, and Eric Milton for him!

When they walked Mauer last nite, I said to myself, "OK Morny, do your thing and make them PAY for walking Mauer". Apparently, he was listening to me.

ALso-- I seem to remember a guy named Mark Prior that was picked ahead of Mauer in 2002. That's why they are the Cubs and we are the Twins.

Mauer was the number one overall pick in 2001 and the Cubs picked prior with the second overall pick.

Mauer was the number one overall pick in 2001 and the Cubs picked prior with the second overall pick.

Lots of people thought that the Twins should have taken Prior though, I'm sure thats what he was refering to.

Originally Posted By: Mudcutter

Agreed that we're having the last laugh on this one, BUT: Let's say Prior didn't openly indicate he didn't want to play with the Twins. Let's imagine the Twins could have signed him. Remember all those early-decade years when we lost in the first round of the playoffs? Kinda hard to imagine we don't make at least one World Series appearance with Prior in that rotation. Just food for thought ... I'd still rather go the route we did.

Prior only had like 1 maybe 2 good seasons and I am not even sure if he is in the bigs anymore......I am pretty sure he is not a starter anymore......I really doubt we would have made the WS with picking Prior, but who knows

Man, ellsbury would have looked good in the Twins CF instead of GOGO

True, but then you would have had to face Johan this week, and very possibly somewhere down the line in the playoffs...

Prior only had like 1 maybe 2 good seasons and I am not even sure if he is in the bigs anymore......I am pretty sure he is not a starter anymore......I really doubt we would have made the WS with picking Prior, but who knows

Did he even have one good year? He was hurt all the time

Originally Posted By: SledNeck
Man, ellsbury would have looked good in the Twins CF instead of GOGO

True, but then you would have had to face Johan this week, and very possibly somewhere down the line in the playoffs...

Yeah but we'd have ellsbury EVERY day, hes better across the board than go go

That was sick, didn't even look like he hit that ball real well either, but it still went out. I'm convinced Mauer is the best hitter in baseball right now. Let's hope he can stay healthy.

I was wondering last night when he hit the homerun if the new ballpark to left field will be about the same distance. Hopefully, it will be that distance or less because he barely clears the left field fence when he hits them that way. Also, hopefully the fence isn't higher than 6' because they don't clear by much.

Sorry if this has been covered, but it seems to me Mauer has the best chance at approaching .400 at some point in his career than any other player in the game right now. Ichiro seemed like the best bet a few years back, but so many of his are infield hits he legs out, which drop as you get older. Mauer just rakes line drive after line drive.

While I don't think we'll see another .400 hitter anytime soon, watching Mauer attempt to reach it should give us something to look forward to each year, even the years the Twins aren't in playoff contention.