• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mauer

fishin58

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand what different body types can do.

I also understand what happens when great players blow up, Bonds, Mcguire, A-Roid, Sosa....ETC ETC ETC>

My only beef with Mauer is, he is a bit lazy in his weight trainiong IMO!

At first I didn't think Joe looked much different this year either as far as size goes. Then, I watched part of a Twins classic today that I think was from 05. There is a huge difference in weight from 05 to current. I'm sure someone here knows for sure what the exact weight difference is, but I'm going to guess 30 lbs of lean muscle. The thing that strikes me the most about Joe is his calmness throughout every game. He stays focused like no other pro athlete I have seen. He is a class act and there isn't too many pro athletes you can really say that about. Maybe Tiger Woods? Morneau is also a class act. I can't think of 2 better players to have on the Twins roster. I wouldn't trade them for anyone.

Mauer may be quoted on record to saying he hates lifting weights. Mauer didn't get to where he is now by not working in the off season. Granted he has tons of natural talent, but that alone is good enough to carry someone this far. Unless your Joe Mauer's trainer i dont see how you can just assume he is lazy in the offseason. Back when he first came up he looked like a little boy out there. All that your seeing now is his body starting to grow into his swing.

I completely agree any pitcher cannot afford to walk joe to watch the ball fly over his head in the justin at bat. Th only thing we need to get is a good solid lead off hitter. Span is patient and does well I just don't think he fits the bill.

I actually think Gomez is the # 1 guy. But he has to pull his head out of his - - - .

The twins are back

way to go gardy on reversing the call way to get your team fired up.

Quote:
way to go gardy on reversing the call way to get your team fired up.

How many times has a manager won an arguement? Last night was the first one I've seen...it was funny I thought. Can the Twins continue their hitting against the Red Sox??

So....I know Mauer has played alot of games recently, but why on earth wasn't he at least the DH in this one, riding a 4 game winning streak and with the Red Socks in town we needed to have our best players on the feild for the entire game.

That said, WOW is this guy on a tear right now!

He got hit by a pitch in the hand/wrist area in last nights game. That's just Gardy looking out for his players health and trying to get him a little rest. Obviously the soreness in his hand didn't effect his pinch hit homerun, or maybe he is just that good. I agree with you on the "WOW" part. Even if this team is an average team this year, Mauer and Morneau still make it fun to watch.

I think it's safe to say that if he was in from the start of the season he would have more HR than morneau! Not saying anything negative about Justin, he is still the best 1st base in MLB IMO!

This is getting absolutely sick right now. Mauer is averaging a homerun every 8 at bats. That is insane.

And its not that he's just hitting for power, his batting average is off the charts as well.

Do I dare believe that he is just now hitting his prime?

Just imagine, if Mauer was hurt and started day one and mainted this pace he would already have 20 some homers and 60 some RBI's.

He is striking out more and walking less which tells me he is swinging the bat more, I think many of us have been clammering for that for awhile now. He used to sit and wait for the perfect pitch which lead to a lot of walks, now he seems to understnad he may not get the perfect pitch so he's going to have to make do with what he's thrown.

With a swing like his and the coordination he has I'm fine with him swinging away at almost anything.

Just imagine, if Mauer was hurt and started day one and mainted this pace he would already have 20 some homers and 60 some RBI's.

He is striking out more and walking less which tells me he is swinging the bat more, I think many of us have been clammering for that for awhile now. He used to sit and wait for the perfect pitch which lead to a lot of walks, now he seems to understnad he may not get the perfect pitch so he's going to have to make do with what he's thrown.

With a swing like his and the coordination he has I'm fine with him swinging away at almost anything.

Maybe not, maybe yes...the first month when he was hurt is maybe what he needed and he was not swinging very well before joining the Twins a month ago, right? Correct me if I'm wrong.

On taking the perfect pitches before- I don't know about that but he is a very patient hitter and will take what pitch he feels comfortable to swing at or a pitch that is going to be in the strike zone. I think most pitches he has hit this year have been good pitches to swing at...? Mauer is swinging very well and it's a lot of fun to watch! Go Twins!

I hope Gardy doesn't cave in and sticks to his game plan on resting Mauer whenever possible like yesterday which was a no-brainer. I hope he can find some rest for Morneau also we cant beat him into the ground again this year. That really killed us and cost us the Division title IMO.

Go Gardy dont change a thing!

It's a marathon and not a sprint.

Mauer himself said that it is maybe do to understanding what pitchers are trying to do to him. Take yesterdays at bat. Papelbon was pitching him outside and then tried sneaking a fastball on the inner part of the plate. Joe realized what he was trying to do and was maybe looking for that pitch. That is maybe the difference, a good theory anyway. He looks for a pitch more and if he gets it he clobbers it. in years past he reacted more and would hit that pitch for a single.

sure is fun to watch isnt it?

I think it's closer to he is swinging more in favorable counts at get-me-over type pitches. He almost always took a 3-1 pitch in previous years. This year he's looking to drive a fastball somewhere on that pitch. I was never a fan of patience when I played, as the first strike you see is usually the best pitch to hit.

I hope Gardy doesn't cave in and sticks to his game plan on resting Mauer whenever possible like yesterday which was a no-brainer. I hope he can find some rest for Morneau also we cant beat him into the ground again this year. That really killed us and cost us the Division title IMO.

Go Gardy dont change a thing!

It's a marathon and not a sprint.

Shouldnt it be Morneau's job to be in good enough physical condition to play the entire season?