• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

HOW MANY RODS

Larson15

I currently have two baitcasters and 4 spinning rods and my wife asks why I need so many.

Those of you who have 10-15 $500 combos either:

a. are single

b. have very understanding wives

c. don't tell your wives when you buy new gear wink

Juan....it is C. The trick is to buy reels and rods separately or tell her you got it on clearance. I bought 2 new st. croix's last year to pair with the 2 reels I bought earlier. just make sure they are on different cc bills.

Quote:
Those of you who have 10-15 $500 combos either:

a. are single

b. have very understanding wives

c. don't tell your wives when you buy new gear

A/nope married

B/Yes Very understanding

C/ Tell her everything, its just easier that way..

D/Work my tail off at second jobs so that I can enjoy my hobby more.

Yeah, I guess I should have included "d. other"

Separate checking accounts wouldn't really work since my wife is currently a laid off nurse and stay at home mom. Probably works harder staying at home, but doesn't get paid.

Props to you Deitz for supporting your hobby/addiction with a second job. I live about 3 minutes from Cabelas and thought about getting a part timer there just for the discounts. I think getting a job there would actually have a negative impact on cash flow though. Plus, I'd have no time to fish then.

Man it would be nice to be a teacher and have summers off!

Teaching is a good gig but I will say in my 7th year with a masters, there isn't a lot of $ to go around... I too work a second job but with three kids, money is tight. I find ways to save money and I also coach during the school year. I currently use 6 different Bait casting set ups and around 8 spinning. I have had up till now a 14 ft aluminum boat so bringing all those rods was not an opition. I think bringing 6-8 rods with on an outing would sufice. I usually approach the problem of what to use by braking my presentations into two catagories... vertical and horizontal. Then depending on conditions I use different variations that best suit each of my set ups: (lb test, rod strength, Raito of reel, water clarity, front conditions, time of year...etc. A larger boat and more rods would be nice but most likely overkill...

Deitz,

I agree, gotta be honest with the wife. She would rather me spend $200 on a rod from an internet site, than sittin in a bar being stupid. My wife will even bid on rods after I have given up an them. 30 yrs of marriage, gotta love it!!!

D. Play in a band and get gigs at resorts

Benefits: Fish all day with someone from the resort who knows the local hot spots; free beer during the gig; come home with cash in your pocket ... proceed directly to tackle store and buy more gear! ...

(P.S. save $50 cash to give to wife to spend on anything she wants)

My rod box will be full come next weekend (opener).

How is it that the one rod you always need to dig out is on the bottom?

It is usually because the pattern you are trying to piece together isn't working and you want to try something totally different. My reason for grabbing the one on the bottom usually.

D could stand for Divorced, in which case you are free to buy but maybe too broke to buy those $500 combos. Luckily that all goes away with time as I did the divorce pattern once. Not sure how many rods I have but every storage tube in both of the Z boats rod lockers has at least one rod, some have two with sleeves protecting them. Speaking of rod sleeves, while down south I noticed quite a few of the big time pros actually have rod sleeves on their rods while the rod is in the storage locker. Anyone else do this with their rod?