• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tiny subjects

A couple of weeks ago we spent a few hours wandering through the Nerstrand Big Woods State Park. The park is known for it's abundant wildflowers, particularly the "spring ephemerals", which flower before the forest canopy develops. I thought I'd share a few of my attempts - nothing spectacular as far as photography, but fun none the less!

White Trout Lily

IMG_9673.jpg

Minnesota Dwarf Trout Lily - this particular flower is a grows only in a 275 square mile area in Rice and Goodhue counties - it's about 2 or 3 inches tall, the blossom is about the size of a dime when fully opened.

IMG_9724.jpg

Marsh Marigolds

IMG_9762.jpg

Bloodroot

IMG_9778_3.jpg

IMG_9730.jpg

Thanks everyone - the park was fun and a great learning experience for me as a photographer. That bloodroot shot and the marigolds are probably my favorites from the day, but I was most intrigued by the trout lilies. They are sun sensitive (I'm sure there's a more technical word for that!), start the morning closed and open fairly quickly at the sun hits them. They are so dense that it was difficult to get a clean background - even laying on the ground, and then there's the "sensitive forest area, stay on the path" rule. crazy Here are some small images of the progression in about a 20 minutes time frame. Anyway, thanks for look and for the comments! It's been fun to share smile

IMG_9630.jpgIMG_9631_2.jpgIMG_9624.jpg

Fully open

IMG_9686.jpgIMG_9877.jpg

Jackie - I was in Nerstrand Friday morning. I love the series you've posted. The Dwarf Lily is just about done blooming. I did get a few flower shots, but with the windy conditions, it was tough.

I love the marsh marigolds, but the trout lily fascinates me, too, Jackie. I had to look them up on the net last night after seeing these. So thanks for posting, and thanks for keeping your eyes and shutter open. Still waiting, Debbie!

Beautiful shots Jackie!....really like those "trout lillies"...I can't recall seeing any up here in my country....maybe I just gotta keep looking grin

If you haven't seen them on YOUR little walks, can they possibly be there? Worth the pursuit, though, keep the little walks coming. You, too, Jackie. Hmmm. Come to think of it, I think I need to take a little walk. Think I'll just take my little fur friend instead of my camera this morning. But my eyes will be open thanks to you two.

Thanks everyone - Jonny, from the range maps I've seen, your area would be on the northern most edge of the white trout lily range. The MN dwarf is on the federal endangered list. This is the first I've seen either of them.