• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lower Manitou Lake Fishing Reports by Camp Manitou

5/11/09

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted everyone to know that we are going to try to report weekly on the fantastic fishing that we have on Lower Manitou Lake.

A number of anglers went thursday afternoon. The trout fishing has been fantastic to say the least, the first group in was just 3 guys, but they pounded the trout. They were new to the lake, but it didn't take them long to figure the trout out. They were long line trolling big crankbaits, for most of the trip and it seemed to be the ticket. On Friday alone they boated 30+ lake trout with over 50 total for the 2 1/2 day trip. The best thing is it is only going to get better, the spring fishing is usually the best 7-10 days after ice out and with the ice only going out wednesday, the fishermen going out this weekend should be in for some great trout action.

Check back for more updates

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The water is a bit high, but normal for the spring. My main floating dock is level with the ramp heading out to it, which is the way we built it 5 years ago - so that was good. It will slowly drop as we head through the summer and into fall and when we finish it will be about 2' lower than it is right now.

I was expecting it to be very high with all the snow we got, but the slow melt this spring looks like it really helped. We didn't get all the water at once, it came over the entire month of april.

5/14/09

Trout seem to be slowly moving up, we had snow on the groud today and it looks like we might get it again tonight - so the water isn't warming up like it should.

With the wind and cool temps the group of the guys in right now have been dead bait rigging with ciscos off some of the small islands on the north section of the stretch, as well as in south bay and doing pretty good.

It's a very simply way to fish, you just set your cisco up on a dead bait rig, drop it in 25-35ft. of water and open your bail and go back to shore. You can set your rod in a pile of rocks or in the croch of a tree, just something that if you get a hit the rod doesn't go in the water. I like to put a piece of yarn on the line, so when a fish pulls it out you can see it moving. You can have a nice fire and enjoy not being bounced around in the waves.

I would guess in the upper 40's maybe low 50's. I haven't been out fishing for a bit now. Outfitter will give you an update soon I am sure. When are you going to be up at the outpost? I may be up sometime when you are there.

With the way things are going with the cool weather it may not be until mid-late june like last year. Last year alot of bass didn't spawn and just absorbed the eggs, I am guessing that that will also be happening this year.

I will be up on & off during June. Not exactly sure on specific dates, but if I am up when you are there, maybe we will cross paths. I will be up at Outfitters guiding a bit, I might just hijack his camp smile

It looks like this thread might be in for a hostile take overeek I hope it doesn't get ugly like some of the other recent topics smirk

I will get the water temps to you in a day or two similar. We just opened the outpost today and moved a dock up there monday. It's almost ready for you.

I don't know Mark. Sometimes my memory gets a bit foggy. I'll have to remember to properly dispose of any fish guts - I'd hate to leave them anywhere they might not be found for a few days smilesmile

Thanks Matt, no big deal. I'm sure you're very busy. It does seem things are working out a lot like last year. I'm happy to be a couple of weeks later.

Similar - I know when you hit your age the mind is the first to go. If you do forget where the fish guts are - try to error on the side of the cabin furthest away from the fireplace - that is the end where Bruce will be sleeping. I fear we are hijacking Matts manitou Fishing report thread eek

Matt you might need to start another one. But fear not, when Similar and I get back we will be sure to post some great threads on all the excellent fishing we had at lake manitou smile

5/21/09

Water temp at the dock is 45.5 and varies from 42 up in the center of the big lake to 49 down in esox lake. The trout fishing has been pretty good for the guys fishing for them. The pike have been good in the shallow bays with lots of slot fish being caught, no one is reporting any tophies caught and released, but they should be getting into the bigger ones soon. The bass fishing is just starting to warm up, we had a few boats up in phairs and flossie today that did well. They mentioned the water being very warm compared to the main lake, but didn't mention what the temp was, they just said it was considerably warmer when they put there hands in the water to relase the fish. The next report coming midweek will be mainly bass, we have a full camp of bass fisherman coming in on Saturday. Check back midweek for the report.

5/24/09

Water temps are slowly starting to rise with the warmer days and the calm winds. Dogfly lake was pretty good for bass on the north end near the portage, guys were mainly fishing boulder piles and rock shorelines in 5-9ft. off water with watermelon colored tubes on 1/8 jigs.

Gates was fished for the first time yesterday and had mixed results, about 40-50 bass were caught scattered around the small lake. The they guys didn't have a graph, but mentioned the water was alot warmer in the small stained water lake, than on the manitou. I am guessing it is in the mid to high 50's right now so the bass should start thinking about making beds in the next week if the temps hold. The best luck seem to be on dark tubes, watermelon, pumkinseed, and motor oil colored.

Most all the bays of the stretch are starting to produce well, hidden river has been good, hailstone, back end of peep, wash out bay to name a few.

5/25/09

The waterfalls are flowing, but we havn't gotten the rain like we did last year so they have already started to slow compared to say 2 weeks ago. Now, if we start getting some of the rain like they are predicting for the next few days they will pick back up.

Here are what some of the popular falls to fish are moving like compared to last year at this time similar:

Hidden River - about 1/2 the flow

Grant - about 1/2 the flow

Kamini Falls - 1/4 of the flow

Adams Falls - 1/2 of the flow

Falls in Canoe Bay - 1/4 flow with ice still under the cedars

Aronson Falls - 3/4 of the flow

There should still be plenty of bass around them when you get here Craig.

Hey Matt!

Joe Hennessey here. Gettin' pumped about comin' up musky hunting later this summer. Can not wait. I'm already wishing the summer away and I can say the same for my dad and my brother. When do we need to get our licenses and which type? If we can keep some trout here and there to eat that would be great. Also can we get our licenses at your camp or do we need to stop before arrival? I know its early, but just want to make sure we're on the ball, busy summer comin' and I'm sure yours will be as well.

Just some questions on the lake. I'm assuming its very clear being the giant trout I'm seeing in many many pictures (wow). What can we keep for trout/bass (just to fry up not to bring back) we cpr just about everything. Size limits, slots, numbers? anything like that just wondering.

I'm sure we'll come up with more questions as the time comes closer, but these are just a few I have now.

Thanks Matt,

Joe

Hey Joe,

Welcome to the board. Don't wish your summer away just yet, we have had a couple of really cold winters the past 2 years so I am going to savor the warm temps this summer. It will be busy, and go quick, but we all need to take some time to enjoy it.

I have the lic. at the camp so no need to worry about stopping along the way. I can give you the size limits for the lake when you get here it will only take a second. I'm sure you will get your fill of fish while you are up, they are tasty little devils aren't they.

Similar,

I don't know how much rain we got in the past 2 days, but it seems like around 4-5 inches. All the falls are really starting to flow right now. If we get anymore rain they should still be dumping out fairly rapidly when you get in.